Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks to TFP, no SLAM needed!

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks to TFP, no SLAM needed!

Just wanted to say thanks to all the members here that share their wealth of knowledge. If you've been following any of the bioactive threads you know that my first task while attempting my own pool care was to get my CYA from around 500 under control. I got it down to 90, which I know is still considered high, but at least it's manageable for me. So then I knew it would be time to start my first slam. My water looks great, but I went almost three weeks with chlorine <5 and was sure there would be some nasty stuff growing I couldn't see. Based on the pool math results I knew I needed to keep FC around 35. So I started with 12% liquid chlorine and measured FC/CC after each bottle I added. After the third bottle I was at FC of 18 and CC 0. This was around 8:30pm. I decided just for fun I'd try on OCLT at that level. This morning still had 18 FC! I'm sure if I was still using the pool store I would have spent a ton of money and still have a disaster on my hands. So far this year with the exception of water/bioactive costs I've got about $20 in chlorine and $10 in muriatic acid.

So thanks to everyone again. The posts you make on threads are helpful to more than just the OP. Everyone else searching sees them and unlike most other forums, everyone here giving advise actual says the same thing!

Next step is to get rid of some slight metal staining and we're ready for the season.

17x41 Sun Fiberglass Pool 21,500 gallons. Jandy 1hp pump, Hayward Top Mount Sand Filter, Coverstar Auto Cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thanks to TFP, no SLAM needed!

Excellent!

You've done really well.

I'm not so nervous about having low FC for the BioActive reducer run that I'm going to start monday.

Will start a new thread at that time.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, glad to hear it!

Stick around and help answer questions, there is a line of new folks at the door looking for knowledge.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the kind words!

And congrats on your opening
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Congrats hugenio.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone.

Borjis - I did not see an issue with algae on any of the bioactive threads so I agree.
    17x41 Sun Fiberglass Pool 21,500 gallons. Jandy 1hp pump, Hayward Top Mount Sand Filter, Coverstar Auto Cover.