looking for an LED Fiber Optic Illuminator Option

Apr 20, 2015
Central New York
I have a fiberstars 2004 light on my pool. The color wheel motor is shot and I'm thinking about converting to an LED driver to gain more color variations and to save electric. Does anyone have a good suggestion for an LED (RGB, preferably) illuminator that would be compatible with my existing fiber optic line to the pool? (One lens, I assume 400 strands, but I really don't know. It fits tightly inside the fitting on the bulb end).

I am not interested in pulling the fiber and replacing with a true LED solution, as I wouldn't have a clue how to install the light without draining the water. Thanks.

mrpoolman,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious what your solution ended up being. Do you mind sharing what you came up with?

I have a similar situation...my Fiberstars 2008 illuminator was junk when we bought this house. Fiber cables are still in place, but I don't want to replace the illuminator with another halogen or metal halide bulb/color wheel/fan, etc.

I was very interested in the TREO retrofit LED units by S.R. Smith, but after pulling the fiber lens in my spa, I found the conduit in the gunite wall is only 3/4", and in the pool is only 1". The TREOs require 1 1/2" conduit for at least 4" of straight run behind the lens. I really don't want to have to carve up the pool and spa walls just to retrofit a length of 1 1/2" conduit, and then deal with patching the gunite and pebble-tec surface.

I'm now considering retaining the fiber lighting, but using an LED light engine to replace the old incandescent light. I saw this ION-8000 LED illuminator at INYO Pools (http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00100015077531.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwx7u5BRC1lePz2biJpIYBEiQA-ZeDmtIrJqoUSVGxbvEq2-oCbd8wXkECZxRAceTwupWKTE8aAgrZ8P8HAQ

It seems like a pretty neatly contained solution that will marry an LED light source with the existing fiberoptic cable. I'm certain it wouldn't have as much terminal brightness in the pool as the direct mounted TREO LEDs, but it may be brighter than the old incandescent light source/fiber combination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.