New pool with low TA and CH

ricky12

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 11, 2015
Cypress, TX
I just started up my brand new pool and had turnover this week. The fill water is 9 days old and I have new pebble sheen. I started off with High PH and TA so the startup guy added a gallon of muriatic acid to get my PH down. It was down in the 7.8 range, so I have been adding small amounts of muriatic acid to try and get it down to the lower end range for new pebble sheen. I have my ph down to 7.4 now, but it has dropped my TA down to 51. My main question is when is it safe to start adding baking soda to start raising my TA to the suggested 80-120 range for new pebble sheen? The start up company and pool store seem to think I dont necessarily need to worry about my low TA and CH at this point since it is a new plaster. Pool math says I need to add 7 poounds, 11 OZ of baking soda to get to 80 TA. What frequency and at what time should I start adding? Also, am I okay to not worry about CH at this point? Any other suggestions and input are appreciated.

CYA -41
FC - 3.5
TA - 51
CH - 153
PH -7.4

I have ordered the TF-100 kit, and it came in Wednesday. I have not had a chance to use it. I have been using Texsun computerized testing equipment. I have taken my water in daily since startup to have a log. These readings are from yesterday evening.

- - - Updated - - -

I might add that the numbers have been fairly consistent with a steady drop in PH and TA without much other movement in the other readings. The only thing I have done is add 2 cups of MA once or twice a day since Sunday.

Computerized testing is only as good as its design and the frequency of its calibration. Drop based home testing with proper reagents is accurate, convenient and cost effective. Pool store testing is none of those unless they are using the same kit you can, in which case, it's just inconvenient and less accurate for things like FC and pH (arguably the most important daily tests) because of travel time.

I fully plan to start testing this evening with my new kit, and I will post up the numbers I get them. Assuming they are similar to the store (bold assumption I know), what is my course of action given my circumstances?

Okay I just used my test kit for the first time. I got a reading of fc between 3 and 5, ph between 7.2 and 7.5 and TA of 70. I went back and looked at my computerized sheet and was at 3.5 fc and TA of 65 yesterday. My 51 was adjusted TA. I have no idea what adjusted TA is but from what I have gathered it's not as important as TA. I think at this point I'm just going to hold off on adding anything except maybe a little baking soda. What do you guys think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay. I finally did it. It took me a couple of tries on some of the tests. The second go around I used the speed stirrer. That thing is legit!

FC 3.5
CC 3.5
PH in between 7.2 and 7.5
TA I got 70 manually and 60 with speed stir
CH 200
CYA 40

Are you sure the CC was 3.5 and not 0? Did you add 7 drops of R-0871 for the FC, then 5 drops of the R-0003 and then 7 more drops of the R-0871?

Assuming that you meant the CC was 0, you are in pretty good shape. Just keep the FC above 3ppm at all times (based on the CYA of 40ppm) and you should be good.

Maintaining the proper chlorine level for your CYA level is the most important part of assuring that algae doesn't get started in the pool. Here is the Chlorine CYA Chart.

Good job getting the test kit all figured out. You'll be a pro in no time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.