Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool with low TA and CH

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool with low TA and CH

I just started up my brand new pool and had turnover this week. The fill water is 9 days old and I have new pebble sheen. I started off with High PH and TA so the startup guy added a gallon of muriatic acid to get my PH down. It was down in the 7.8 range, so I have been adding small amounts of muriatic acid to try and get it down to the lower end range for new pebble sheen. I have my ph down to 7.4 now, but it has dropped my TA down to 51. My main question is when is it safe to start adding baking soda to start raising my TA to the suggested 80-120 range for new pebble sheen? The start up company and pool store seem to think I dont necessarily need to worry about my low TA and CH at this point since it is a new plaster. Pool math says I need to add 7 poounds, 11 OZ of baking soda to get to 80 TA. What frequency and at what time should I start adding? Also, am I okay to not worry about CH at this point? Any other suggestions and input are appreciated.

CYA -41
    FC - 3.5
    TA - 51
    CH - 153
    PH -7.4
    18k gallon IG gunite/pebblesheen with 3ton moss rock waterfall, 8 ft 12" raised wall & rock accents , 42sq ft 12" raised spa w/ 6 jets & cascading stacked stone waterfall, 3HP Intellifo VS pump,
    420sq ft Pentair cartridge filter, 400,000 BTU Pentair Gas Heater, 1.5HP Whisperflo water feature pump, 1.5HP Silencer Spa Blower, 3 intellibrite lights, EZTouch System 8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool with low TA and CH

What test kit are you using? Those numbers as suspect.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have ordered the TF-100 kit, and it came in Wednesday. I have not had a chance to use it. I have been using Texsun computerized testing equipment. I have taken my water in daily since startup to have a log. These readings are from yesterday evening.

- - - Updated - - -

I might add that the numbers have been fairly consistent with a steady drop in PH and TA without much other movement in the other readings. The only thing I have done is add 2 cups of MA once or twice a day since Sunday.
    18k gallon IG gunite/pebblesheen with 3ton moss rock waterfall, 8 ft 12" raised wall & rock accents , 42sq ft 12" raised spa w/ 6 jets & cascading stacked stone waterfall, 3HP Intellifo VS pump,
    420sq ft Pentair cartridge filter, 400,000 BTU Pentair Gas Heater, 1.5HP Whisperflo water feature pump, 1.5HP Silencer Spa Blower, 3 intellibrite lights, EZTouch System 8

4. Back To Top    #4

Post up some numbers Ricky, get familiar with the kit and trust your results.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Computerized testing is only as good as its design and the frequency of its calibration. Drop based home testing with proper reagents is accurate, convenient and cost effective. Pool store testing is none of those unless they are using the same kit you can, in which case, it's just inconvenient and less accurate for things like FC and pH (arguably the most important daily tests) because of travel time.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

I fully plan to start testing this evening with my new kit, and I will post up the numbers I get them. Assuming they are similar to the store (bold assumption I know), what is my course of action given my circumstances?

7. Back To Top    #7

If those are correct, you may not be in too bad of shape, besides the FC getting a little low.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay I just used my test kit for the first time. I got a reading of fc between 3 and 5, ph between 7.2 and 7.5 and TA of 70. I went back and looked at my computerized sheet and was at 3.5 fc and TA of 65 yesterday. My 51 was adjusted TA. I have no idea what adjusted TA is but from what I have gathered it's not as important as TA. I think at this point I'm just going to hold off on adding anything except maybe a little baking soda. What do you guys think?

9. Back To Top    #9

You did not report all the tests ... especially the FAS-DPD chlorine test and the CYA.
    Forget about TA, least important.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh I just did the general chlorine. Let me go do the other one.

11. Back To Top    #11

It's easier for people to read if you post like this: (like you did originally)
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

12. Back To Top    #12

Okay. I finally did it. It took me a couple of tries on some of the tests. The second go around I used the speed stirrer. That thing is legit!

FC 3.5
    CC 3.5
    PH in between 7.2 and 7.5
    TA I got 70 manually and 60 with speed stir
    CH 200
    CYA 40

13. Back To Top    #13

Are you sure the CC was 3.5 and not 0? Did you add 7 drops of R-0871 for the FC, then 5 drops of the R-0003 and then 7 more drops of the R-0871?

Assuming that you meant the CC was 0, you are in pretty good shape. Just keep the FC above 3ppm at all times (based on the CYA of 40ppm) and you should be good.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

New pool with low TA and CH

Yes. I apologize. CC was 0 as. I did not have to add anymore drops. Sorry I am new at this.

15. Back To Top    #15

No problem. Glad things look pretty good for you

You should probably bump the FC up to 5-6ppm every day to be sure it does not drop below 3ppm
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

More than probably, IMHO, until you get used to testing and learn your pool's requirements. Good job!

17. Back To Top    #17

Maintaining the proper chlorine level for your CYA level is the most important part of assuring that algae doesn't get started in the pool. Here is the Chlorine CYA Chart.

Good job getting the test kit all figured out. You'll be a pro in no time!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks guys. The test kit is a little overwhelming when you first look at it but has great instructions.