TFP season 2: Thinking about SWG conversion

Styxbb

May 5, 2014
Ohio
I used the tfp method for the first time last year. I actually enjoy the daily testing, BUT...we have a couple of extended vacations planned this year and am looking to simplify things for the "caretaker" knowing they live half and hour away and will not be there daily. Besides, I've thought about going saltwater for the past few years anyways. Right now, for the current system, I have a single outlet on a switch for the pool pump. Here are my questions.

1. Can I replace the outlet and run both the pump and SWG from the same outlet? 110V
2. Follow-up to 1. Should I invest in a timer? If so, suggestions?
3. I am looking at the Autopilot Digital Nano Plus. It says it's rated for 28,000 but suggested for 21,000. Should I look at something bigger? or better? Been taking care of the pool for 10 years, but new to the SW game.

1. I think so ... not sure of the codes for having locking plugs/etc. Or you could hard wire the pump and SWG.
2. I would. No reason to run your pump all day or have to remember to turn it on and off. The mechanical Intermatic timers are great if you are going to hard wire. Or you could wire the timer to control the outlet.
3. We recommend sizing for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. I would look for something rated for around 40k. Might have to look at in-ground SWGs which need to be hard wired.

So, you could put in a timer and wire the SWG directly to the timer and have the timer control the outlet that you pump plugs into.

I used the tfp method for the first time last year. I actually enjoy the daily testing, BUT...we have a couple of extended vacations planned this year and am looking to simplify things for the "caretaker" knowing they live half and hour away and will not be there daily. Besides, I've thought about going saltwater for the past few years anyways. Right now, for the current system, I have a single outlet on a switch for the pool pump. Here are my questions.

1. Can I replace the outlet and run both the pump and SWG from the same outlet? 110V Amperage or the current line will determine if you can- pump start up is a big draw
2. Follow-up to 1. Should I invest in a timer? If so, suggestions?
I recommend it, it ensures your filtering when and how long you should.
3. I am looking at the Autopilot Digital Nano Plus. It says it's rated for 28,000 but suggested for 21,000. Should I look at something bigger? or better? Been taking care of the pool for 10 years, but new to the SW game.
Consider, Pentair intellichlor. I love mine
^^^^ Ron

@4knights ... The intellichlor is much more limited when you do not have Pentair automation, like you are used to. There are better options IMO for stand alone SWGs.

@4knights ... The intellichlor is much more limited when you do not have Pentair automation, like you are used to. There are better options IMO for stand alone SWGs.
Agreed! :) :bowdown:
They could always upgrade to an easy touch system, provides the load center for extra power needs to include GFCI, computerized programming for swcg and pump run times. :rockon:

Not sure about other brands, mine is connected to the easy touch load center.
The easy touch is programmed to turn on my pump and SWCG at the same time and run for a specified amount of time. The salt cell can be adjusted to make chlorine in amounts of 0% to 100% of the time the pump runs. If you had only the intellichlor cell and power supply! I believe the cell remembers your last setting. ( easy touch has internal program memory)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.