Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFP season 2: Thinking about SWG conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP season 2: Thinking about SWG conversion

I used the tfp method for the first time last year. I actually enjoy the daily testing, BUT...we have a couple of extended vacations planned this year and am looking to simplify things for the "caretaker" knowing they live half and hour away and will not be there daily. Besides, I've thought about going saltwater for the past few years anyways. Right now, for the current system, I have a single outlet on a switch for the pool pump. Here are my questions.

1. Can I replace the outlet and run both the pump and SWG from the same outlet? 110V
    2. Follow-up to 1. Should I invest in a timer? If so, suggestions?
    3. I am looking at the Autopilot Digital Nano Plus. It says it's rated for 28,000 but suggested for 21,000. Should I look at something bigger? or better? Been taking care of the pool for 10 years, but new to the SW game.
    16' x 32' Hopper IG Vinyl | 19,000 Gal | Pentair Tegalus 60 Sand Filter | Pentair Challenger 3/4 hp Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFP season 2: Thinking about SWG conversion

1. I think so ... not sure of the codes for having locking plugs/etc. Or you could hard wire the pump and SWG.
    2. I would. No reason to run your pump all day or have to remember to turn it on and off. The mechanical Intermatic timers are great if you are going to hard wire. Or you could wire the timer to control the outlet.
    3. We recommend sizing for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. I would look for something rated for around 40k. Might have to look at in-ground SWGs which need to be hard wired.

So, you could put in a timer and wire the SWG directly to the timer and have the timer control the outlet that you pump plugs into.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

+1 I would go for a 40k or 45k SWG... there are many out there, here are 2 choices:

AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 / SC-48 Cell - $1,491.00

or

CircuPool SJ-Series 45 (free upgrade till 12 may) $779.00
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Styxbb View Post
    I used the tfp method for the first time last year. I actually enjoy the daily testing, BUT...we have a couple of extended vacations planned this year and am looking to simplify things for the "caretaker" knowing they live half and hour away and will not be there daily. Besides, I've thought about going saltwater for the past few years anyways. Right now, for the current system, I have a single outlet on a switch for the pool pump. Here are my questions.

1. Can I replace the outlet and run both the pump and SWG from the same outlet? 110V Amperage or the current line will determine if you can- pump start up is a big draw
    2. Follow-up to 1. Should I invest in a timer? If so, suggestions?
    I recommend it, it ensures your filtering when and how long you should.
    3. I am looking at the Autopilot Digital Nano Plus. It says it's rated for 28,000 but suggested for 21,000. Should I look at something bigger? or better? Been taking care of the pool for 10 years, but new to the SW game.
    Consider, Pentair intellichlor. I love mine
    ^^^^ Ron
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

@4knights ... The intellichlor is much more limited when you do not have Pentair automation, like you are used to. There are better options IMO for stand alone SWGs.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    @4knights ... The intellichlor is much more limited when you do not have Pentair automation, like you are used to. There are better options IMO for stand alone SWGs.
    Agreed!
    They could always upgrade to an easy touch system, provides the load center for extra power needs to include GFCI, computerized programming for swcg and pump run times.
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

There is where you lost me. Not an electrician by any means. If you put your swg on a timer, won't it reset everytime it powers off?
    16' x 32' Hopper IG Vinyl | 19,000 Gal | Pentair Tegalus 60 Sand Filter | Pentair Challenger 3/4 hp Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Not sure about other brands, mine is connected to the easy touch load center.
    The easy touch is programmed to turn on my pump and SWCG at the same time and run for a specified amount of time. The salt cell can be adjusted to make chlorine in amounts of 0% to 100% of the time the pump runs. If you had only the intellichlor cell and power supply! I believe the cell remembers your last setting. ( easy touch has internal program memory)