Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't Open Waste

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't Open Waste

My filter is a Pentair SMBW 2048 and I'm trying to backwash, but I can't get the handle of the rotary valve to move at all. I even put a small length of pipe on the handle to get more leverage and it still won't budge. Is there some trick to moving the lever that I might not know? I checked the manual, but it just says to move the lever and doesn't mention any tricks.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Can't Open Waste

If you are depressing the valve handle and it still is not moving then I have no idea.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the valve handle something separate from the lever? The lever can't be moved up and down because it's through a metal slot in the filter body that would prevent any such movement.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I don't have your filter, but to turn mine I push down on handle/lever on top of multi port and then turn to desired location.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

This thing is just a metal lever that sticks out from the bottom of the filter. All you can do is move it back and forth between waste and pool. I suspect it hasn't been cleaned in so long that it's jammed inside. The pump basket was so crammed with leaves and debris that is was like a solid chunk when I took it out.

The sad part is that the previous owner was a really old man who reported having a pool boy. It's clear to me that this pool boy never performed any maintenance on the filter, the pump, or the pool. The skimmer didn't even have a basket in it and the weir is missing. By some freak miracle the water parameters are almost perfect for TFP.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

You may end up having to get a new filter. Sad the pool boy did not do his job. Maybe someone else has this filter and can chime in.
    Lisa

7. Back To Top    #7

Can you post pictures? It may be a matter of taking it apart to clean out any debris jammed inside.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry