Cloudy Water

Welcome to TFP from a little way down the road!

Listening to the pool store is your first mistake. The numbers they claim are correct just won't work. If you could post some test results with your FC and CYA levels particularly, we can help.

With a sand filter, it can take several days to clear a really dirty pool. Mine has been open since last Friday and I'm just now able to see the main drain.

If you want to start learning, you can head for
Pool School.

Recommended Levels would be a good starting point.

When you say levels are correct, is that your testing or the pool store?

We generally find that pool store testing is less than stellar and recommend folk have their own quality test kit. The TF100 at Tftestkits.net is the best value, but there is a list of all the recommended test kits in Pool School (link above).

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Sounds like you've been through the wringer at the pool store, much like many people before you and myself a few years back. The good thing is that you found TFP and you want to do something different, that will work.

Getting yourself a good test kit is the first and most important step in taking control of your pool. Here are the TFP recommended test kits: Test Kit Comparison I'd highly recommend the TF-100 from tftestkits.net as it is the best value and has all the reagents you'll need to take control of your pool.

Contrary to what the pool store has led you to believe, your sand is almost never the real problem. By the time it gets in your filter, it's already millions of years old. 5 years in your filter is nothing for "wear" on the sand. At worst, it may need a deep cleaning.

I'd recommend getting a test kit ordered, leaving the pool store behind (mixing their advice and ours is BAD) and get yourself acquainted with our methods in Pool School. I know you probably want a quick fix, which is what the pool store is always selling, but seldom delivering. Do yourself a favor and forget the big money quick fix and take over your own pool using TFP. Your wallet will thank you for your patience and finding TFP.

To help you better, please add the details of your pool to your forum signature. See how here: To change your profile and/or signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile or Edit Signature.

Hi, Welcome to TFP!

We need some water test results to diagnose your current issue. My guess is that your CYA/stabilizer level is too high and that your chlorine level is too low as shown on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Chlorine level in your pool needs to be maintained in relationship to your CYA level in your pool.

Order a TF100 test kit from tftestkits.net

Read these two introductory water care articles in Pool School
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool
Use PoolMath to figure out how much stuff to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.