Liner color restoration

Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
Is there any such thing? I've seen products advertised to help bring back the vibrance of oxidized pool liners. Does this stuff really work, or is it just snake oil? I don't have an example of what I'm talking about. I tried looking it up again online and I don't even know what to search for! LOL

Mine is four years old now and looks pretty good still. But I can see where I have the ladder mat every year - the liner looks much darker there and better there. I was thinking about trying one of these products but I thought I would seek advice in previous experience and whether or not this is something worth spending my time on. I just remember it being something that you can add to the water and over the course of a few days, it helps to remove the oxidation from the liner.

I also realize that it could also be from high levels of chlorine because of a misbalance of cyanuric acid. I don't think that's the case here. I've been using the BBB method since I started and I've not had any problems keeping everything in check. I've never had a CYA level above 50. I also don't automatically shock as a cure-all when I have a problem. : ^)

I'm going to,guess snake oil as I can't wrap my mind around how putting something in the water will restore color to a liner. But, I am just guessing and would defer to someone who has used such a product.

It's not the Cya. Liners fade, and very high Chlorine levels (out of range) can add to that. Most fade is from the Sun, as illustrated with your example. There is no product that could restore the color in your pool liner I'm afraid. Once the color is gone, it's gone I do believe.

Thanks for the clarification. The reason I mentioned CYA is that if one's CYA level is high, more chlorine is needed to bring to the proper levels. The result would be a faster fading liner. The sun will destroy anything over a period of time, so this was my original thought. It would be nice though! Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.