Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't decide on a liner...it's driving me mad! Opinions??

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't decide on a liner...it's driving me mad! Opinions??

Hi guys!

Our concrete bottom has been poured on our new pool. The pool is 41x25x18, called a humpback haven from Megna pools (manufacturer). So we are stumped on a liner options. We like the turquoise (ish) look but we don't want it to be too light or clear in color. That said we do like the blues but not where it's looks like bright blue ink. The blue liners to me look good but a part of me thinks it looks same old...same old boring blue!

Here is the link to the liner choices. We were thinking on the Greystone or the Seaglass in the bottom left corner. Any thoughts, experiences or opinions on my liner options or ideas? I called one company that sells these brand of pool and liner and she said they sell 40 pools per year and install 30 of them in Greystone or Sandstone. We have a two foot high boulder retaining wall and those rocks are grey in color.

http://www.megnapools.com/2015%2030%...20Patterns.pdf

Thanks so much!!
    41x25x18 Humpback Haven
    Graduated from 16ft Intex

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't decide on a liner...it's driving me mad! Opinions??

You are the only ones that matter as for a choices like this matter. But, I will say that's long as you have several that you like, narrow it down best as possible and flip a coin. Humans are readily adaptable and will get used to anything. After a couple of weeks playing in the pool you won't even remember you had problems with a color choice.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

and thats the awesome part of vinyl, if you want you can change it 5 years from now

get what you like looking at....
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

It is ultimately your opinion. I would personally not go with the greystone. To me pools that are blackish or grayish always look dirty. My liner is similar to Plaza, and I love it (assuming those are about 1" squares). I also like the looks of white pebble beach or riverstones. If you didnt like the tiled look, I would pick pebble beach.

If the pool company has vinyl samples, get a set of them, adn place them in the bottom of a pool somewhere (find a neighbor with a pool or go to a neighborhood pool) and see what they look like in sunlight under water. I was shocked to see when I picked my liner that once in water, my opinions changed.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Yev View Post
    It is ultimately your opinion. I would personally not go with the greystone. To me pools that are blackish or grayish always look dirty. My liner is similar to Plaza, and I love it (assuming those are about 1" squares). I also like the looks of white pebble beach or riverstones. If you didnt like the tiled look, I would pick pebble beach.

If the pool company has vinyl samples, get a set of them, adn place them in the bottom of a pool somewhere (find a neighbor with a pool or go to a neighborhood pool) and see what they look like in sunlight under water. I was shocked to see when I picked my liner that once in water, my opinions changed.
    Having a black liner, I do not agree with this statement. If the sun is out it looks dark blue and you can easily see the bottom from every angle. I am partial to darker as I do not like to be like everyone else...good luck in your decision.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Just to confuse things even more...lol

I don't care for dark colored pools, nor the typical blue you see in most liners. The liner we chose looks like white granite, much like the White Terrazzo sample (except the speckles in ours are more teal than blue). I absolutely love it!

Perhaps something to consider, dark colors are probably more likely to show the effects of fading over time than light colors.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

7. Back To Top    #7

Where do you live? It makes a difference. I wish my pool were a darker color. I think it would warm up better.

A pattern will also hide the stray bits of grit that land in the pool, generally immediately after you put away the vacuum and hose. My plaster is plain white and with superclear water, every last piece of shingle grit is visible from across the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

We have a gray marble liner, its being replaced right now, it has faded quite a bit. So much that the tops of the bench and steps look white now. We are going gold pebble.
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all the reply's! I ended up picking the greystone. Our PB has a video of a pool that he built and it was in greystone and I really liked the look so that sealed the deal for us. I hope we like it?! I would find it much easier picking out a color for a new vehicle than a pool liner...good grief. Next is the concrete or pavers? Leaning towards pavers....
    41x25x18 Humpback Haven
    Graduated from 16ft Intex

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Congratulations on making your choice! Each decision made is such a relief, right?!

I just opened your thread with the intent to offer you a deal.... You choose my finish color, and I'll choose your vinyl! Rats, I was too late!

I vote for pavers but probably because that is the ONE thing I've known from the beginning I wanted.

Take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

Pavers.....
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

12. Back To Top    #12

I like our pavers.
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100