Long time reader, first time poster. So far, I've been absorbing as much as possible from the threads (awesome) but ever since my visit to the local pool store, my heads been a bit spinny (not so great).
First time opening a swimming pool, let alone attempting to SLAM one. Now, before I proceed with the rest of the steps generated by the water testing machine/application at the store I was hoping to get some clarity from The Experts here
1) My pool readings this morning were the following: pH: high, or ~8.0, FC: 0, TA: 180, STAB: 50
2) I have yet to power ON my SWG, but my water is clear, and my pump has been on non-stop for the past 96 hours/4 days.
3) I started with a standard "Winter Kit" that I bought from said store... This included algaecide, a "Metaloc" product, and some what I would assume to be pouches of chlorine?
4) Last night, I distributed about 5kg of baking soda (or "ALCA" which is what the shop brands it as), since my alkalinity level was low, according to the machine. it was at 39, and appears to now be around 180.
5) Last night, I dispersed 1.5 cups of "pH Minus", or what I now assume to be muriatic acid. pH last night was 7.9, and still appears to be around that.
It was at that point that I decided to take a step back and re-read some of the things I had caught here on TFP, which made me then question the recommended next steps.
At this point, my next "steps to follow" are basically
1) Add 140mL of a "metals reducer" to decrease my iron levels (Metaloc)
2) Add something called "ALUN-ALUM"
3) Add 15kg of calcium, because my calcium hardness is low (46 ppm)
4) Add more stabilizer, because my stab levels WERE low (4 ppm) but now appear to be HIGH (~50 ppm)
5) FINALLY, only once I am done all this, i am then instructed to start up my SWG (and I would assume, to start pouring my bags of pool salt in as well...)
So, my pool shop computer-generated and shopping-carted me with the above, but my TFP mindset is telling me to just vacuum and start chlorinating with my SWG/bags of salt, AND some liquid bleach that I have available...
My pool has cleared up almost completely from the greenish hue it was from the beginning. I've been brushing it daily, and will finally get a chance to vacuum the sediment at the bottom (a result of a floc product that was also added).
My head is about to explode, and my hands are trembling with anxiety; I want to get this right! I don't mind the testing + testing + adjust + test more approach, but what am I to do? Do I complete the game plan from the pool shop, or do I head straight to SWG once I pass the "overnight" test?