Hi, I am new here looking for assistance/ ideas for a re-plumb project. Currently we have a relatively new Pentair Easy Touch SWG system with IntellipH and a new AquaCal heat pump, but we have that connected to 2 old 1.5 hp whisper pumps and a very old CC150 filter that is worn to bare fiberglass and annoying. I want to replace both pumps with a single 3hp Intelliflo for energy savings and I am considering a sand filter with cellulose added or a Quad DE for filtration in place of the old CC150. Water quality is good and easy to keep balanced.
Attached are my diagrams of what I have today and what I hope to replumb to.
There is a also a blower for the spa that is not shown.
A couple of questions:
1) Do I need to worry about balancing the drains and skimmer with valves? The ball valves that are there now are UV deteriorated and probably wouldn't function anyway. If I need to do this, I will use Jandy. Frankly it seems like I have too many feeds as it is. The wall drains were added to support the waterfall loop it appears to me. It's 2 drains in the wall going to the pump in 3" pvc. That with pool drain and skimmer is 2 - 2" and 1- 3" suction line. Ignoring the vacuum suction line.
2) Is there any reason to not filter the waterfall? We don't need that much flow and our desire for reduced energy consumption will have me running the pump on lower rpms anyway. If I branch the waterfall off early, it won't hit the SWG which is kind of important for this new config. The waterfalls tend to grow algae if not run enough. I prefer to filter and SWG the waterfalls as shown in the after but I am open to suggestions.
3) Am I crazy for considering a new filter? The cc150 works but is very worn. If i keep it, it is getting a new paint job and needs a new cartridge. I like the idea of a sand filter with zeo media and cellulose as a topper. Kind of the best of low maintenance and filtration. Would I be better off with a new bigger cart filter or DE? We have a pool cage so not an incredibly dirty pool.
4) How do i improve surface cleaning given my setup? That's really the only pace we have visible particles. Floaters.
5) My backflow valves need replacing, where should they go other than the spa and waterfall feeds due to elevation change? Are they necessary at all if I don't mind water finding level?
Later changes will include LED lights and possibly an auto vacuum.
Thanks for all the help. I appreciate any feedback you have.