Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can Anyone Identify This Filter

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Moorpark, CA
    Posts
    171

    Can Anyone Identify This Filter

    I just bought a house with a pool. I am having trouble identifying the pool filter, because someone painted over all the labels on the filter tank. You can see an outline of a label in picture 3. Can anyone identify this filter?

    Attachment 36154

    If no one can identify it, then what?

    Thanks.

    Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Re: Can Anyone Identify This Filter

    Looks like a Pentair/Purex 2000 series DE filter.
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    222

    Re: Can Anyone Identify This Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by bigglesworth View Post
    Looks like a Pentair/Purex 2000 series DE filter.
    It certainly is exactly that. I own one. That lever at the bottom is stuck on mine. Hope yours lets you backwash.
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Moorpark, CA
    Posts
    171

    Re: Can Anyone Identify This Filter

    You guys are invaluable! Thank you so much.

    I can now service my filter.

    Now that I knew my filter make and model, I found this helpful video on cleaning it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8TzWu-xK7s

    Michael

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Can Anyone Identify This Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
    You guys are invaluable! Thank you so much.

    I can now service my filter.

    Now that I knew my filter make and model, I found this helpful video on cleaning it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8TzWu-xK7s

    Michael
    My filter is fiberglass, but I have the same backwash setup except mine has an elbow and a nipple for the backwash hose. Less mess. If you backwash first, there's less crud on the screens. I just leave the backwash valve open and blast the screens in place, and all the stuff ends up draining out the bottom into the hose and away it goes. After reassembly, I backwash again long enough to clean out the hose. I also use cellulose instead of DE because it is biodegradable. DE is not. If your backwash handle is hard to reach, like mine, I found the fireplace poker works good to push and pull on the lever.

    Wear old clothes and flipflops just the same.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Moorpark, CA
    Posts
    171

    Re: Can Anyone Identify This Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    My filter is fiberglass, but I have the same backwash setup except mine has an elbow and a nipple for the backwash hose. Less mess. If you backwash first, there's less crud on the screens. I just leave the backwash valve open and blast the screens in place, and all the stuff ends up draining out the bottom into the hose and away it goes. After reassembly, I backwash again long enough to clean out the hose. I also use cellulose instead of DE because it is biodegradable. DE is not. If your backwash handle is hard to reach, like mine, I found the fireplace poker works good to push and pull on the lever.

    Wear old clothes and flipflops just the same.
    Thank you for the tips. Right now there is no hose on the system to drain it away from the pump area (picture 1). Where is the best place to get one of those roll up hoses? I guess they just clamp onto the end of the backwash pipe?

    Also this is a bit of a newbie question, but the manufacturer instructions show the same amount of DE for backwashing as is used for putting a new filter into service. I thought less DE was used in a backwash situation.

    Michael

  7. Back To Top    #7

    TFP Guide

    Azgirl71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sierra Vista, Az
    Posts
    2,586

    Re: Can Anyone Identify This Filter

    You can get a backwash hose at Home Depot or Lowes in the pool section
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Can Anyone Identify This Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
    Thank you for the tips. Right now there is no hose on the system to drain it away from the pump area (picture 1). Where is the best place to get one of those roll up hoses? I guess they just clamp onto the end of the backwash pipe?

    Also this is a bit of a newbie question, but the manufacturer instructions show the same amount of DE for backwashing as is used for putting a new filter into service. I thought less DE was used in a backwash situation.

    Michael
    I got mine at Lowes. I also bought the nipple there that threads into the end of the backwash port, right there by the hoses out in the pool section in the outdoor garden section. And a hose clamp. Make sure when you roll out the hose that there are no kinks or twists. Otherwise it will blow up like a balloon and pop and spew filthy sludge all over the place.

    If all you do is backwash, then use 80% to recharge. If you do a full cleaning, use 100%. They're being excessively optimistic about how well the filters backwash clean.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Moorpark, CA
    Posts
    171

    Re: Can Anyone Identify This Filter

    Thanks again guys!

    Richard, you probably saved me from a big newbie mistake with the hose kink advice. I can only imagine what a mess that would make.

    Michael

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Can Anyone Identify This Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
    Thanks again guys!

    Richard, you probably saved me from a big newbie mistake with the hose kink advice. I can only imagine what a mess that would make.

    Michael
    Mine blew alongside a gravel bed. Despite the plastic weed barrier beneath the gravel, it's now one of the most fertile spots in my yard. Dandelions and thistles thrive there. Luckily, they pull out easily, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •