Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shotcrete question

1. Back To Top    #1

Shotcrete question

My pool is getting shotcreted tomorrow and they told me I need to water it down for a few days while it cures.
    I was aware of this and thought it was standard.
    However, when my neighbors pool was being built they didn't water it down after shooting it. It was a new build and house wasn't done yet so owner hadn't officially bought it yet from builder.
    I asked him if the builder was going to water it down for him and he said the builder told him that they used a special mix that didn't need to be sprayed down after being applied.
    I was wondering if any of you had heard about a 'special' mix of shotcrete that didn't need to be watered down for a few days.
    Is this true or did they just tell my neighbor that because the pool builder didn't want to come out to spray down the pool themselves since there was no owner on site.
    (Started 4/20/15) 32' x 16' In-ground Presidential Pools(3-5-4) 14K gallon salt water pool, Pebble Radiance Kona Blue, Pentair Inteiliflo pump, 420 Cartridge filter, Q-360 in-floor cleaning, Eclipse drain, 2 Spectrum 360 LED lights, Grotto w/waterfall, Trazocrete table with bench seating, 2 deck jets, Baja step, 400 sq ft acrylic lace deck - Sonoran Stone.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shotcrete question

I can't say it isn't true but I never heard of it, and it doesn't sound right to me. Some special sort of cement....? Not so sure about that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I haven't heard of that either. Might have been a cooler time of year and it wasn't as important. My gunite was shot in June I think and my PB was pretty indifferent to whether I should water it or not.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine was done in winter, it was cold, and we still had to do it. Sorry, but it doesn't sound right to me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by valen View Post
    My pool is getting shotcreted tomorrow and they told me I need to water it down for a few days while it cures.
    I was aware of this and thought it was standard.
    However, when my neighbors pool was being built they didn't water it down after shooting it. It was a new build and house wasn't done yet so owner hadn't officially bought it yet from builder.
    I asked him if the builder was going to water it down for him and he said the builder told him that they used a special mix that didn't need to be sprayed down after being applied.
    I was wondering if any of you had heard about a 'special' mix of shotcrete that didn't need to be watered down for a few days.
    Is this true or did they just tell my neighbor that because the pool builder didn't want to come out to spray down the pool themselves since there was no owner on site.
    Not true Shotcrete is concrete ACI recommends 7 days water cure -

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe it was a "special mix" of laziness and gullibility! :P Water, water, and water again. You only get one chance.
    Owner-Builder, 13,500 IG StoneScapes Mini Pebble (Aqua White), Pentair 160301 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40, Intelli pH system, Intelliflo VS pump, Startup 2/26/2015

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Concreteman View Post
    Not true Shotcrete is concrete ACI recommends 7 days water cure -
    Thank you for posting that. I only know about Pool Concrete from what I've learned here and my PB. He had me wetting mine done in the winter. He stressed it a lot too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

concrete should always be watered down while its curing. the worst thing you can let curing concrete do is dry out. water water water! submerging curing concrete is best, but not practical typically...but lots of spraying will be fine as well. if you don't, the concrete will NOT cure to its full strength. that's why concrete cores are submerged in water and removed to test.

The contractor that said he used a special mix is a liar...unless he applied a chemical membrane to it after it was set, but that is highly unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Thank you for posting that. I only know about Pool Concrete from what I've learned here and my PB. He had me wetting mine done in the winter. He stressed it a lot too.
    that's because he knows what he is doing! good advice.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I agree it has to be wet down during curing. It is no different than when you poor a slab of concrete and have to water it.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

I knew it could cure underwater, but had no idea they submerged cores for testing. Again, a new thing learned here today.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I knew it could cure underwater, but had no idea they submerged cores for testing. Again, a new thing learned here today.
    they will do submerged as well as not submerged testing.

I might not be a pool expert, but I know about construction, etc. concrete has certain strengths at certain cure times. if you have 3,000 psi strength concrete, that's 3,000 psi at 30 days, however a lot of the strength is gained in the first 7-10 days, which is why its critical to keep the concrete from losing moisture during curing. water/moisture is needed for the concrete to properly cure, another benefit of heavy water use is that is helps remove the heat that results from the chemical reaction of curing. more heat, means more moisture loss which affects the strength of the concrete.

basically, its critical to keep the concrete wetted for the first week or so. after that the strength gains are slower and the curing process slows down.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all the reply's. i thought it sounded fishy. They just didn't want to water it.
    (Started 4/20/15) 32' x 16' In-ground Presidential Pools(3-5-4) 14K gallon salt water pool, Pebble Radiance Kona Blue, Pentair Inteiliflo pump, 420 Cartridge filter, Q-360 in-floor cleaning, Eclipse drain, 2 Spectrum 360 LED lights, Grotto w/waterfall, Trazocrete table with bench seating, 2 deck jets, Baja step, 400 sq ft acrylic lace deck - Sonoran Stone.