Swimpure Plus: replace cell, replace system or switch to chlorine

Jun 9, 2012
I have a Swimpure Plus, software version r1.4. I went out to clean the filters last weekend and noticed black/brown goo leaking out of the cell, like a bad ballast in a fluorescent light fixture. Looks fried to me so I have unhooked it. Stupid me, I thought "easy fix" and ordered a new T-CELL-15 off amazon for $400 bucks. Installed it and find out it does not work. Do a little research and it looks like I need the T-CELL-15-SWP that costs $600. Now I am wondering if I should replace it for $600, spend the extra $300 for the AQR15 I found on Amazon and replace the whole thing or just throw in the towel and go buy a pallet of bleach.

Recommendations? Other options? I am wondering if I can just replace the controller board and use the T15 cell I just bought or if there is some way to update the firmware in my current unit. I hate getting rid of my controller seeing how it works fine but it seems silly to pay $600 for a new cell.

Can you post all of the diagnostic readings?

The previous cell seemed to be working but it looked like it was about to start a fire so I disconnected it. When I plugged in the new T15, the generating light will come on for a few seconds and then go off. At that point, none of the lights are on and all the diagnostic readings are 0.

image.jpg

Well, it looks like the problem is deeper than I thought. I opened the controller case just in case there might be a problem with the board. The varister had popped. I have not pulled it to check for other damage. From what I have seen, this should be a pretty easy solder repair.

Two questions:

Are there any gotchas I may need to know about before starting the repair?

If I do repair it, do I have to get a T-CELL-15-SWP or can I use the regular T-CELL-15?

Thanks
image.jpg

The T-CELL-15-SWP and the regular T-CELL-15 are the same thing. SWP just means SwimPure brand. Hayward makes private label AquaRites for various manufacturers.

The thermistor is a SL32 2R025, which you can get at digikey and other places.

Once you replace the thermistor, you will probably be back in business.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.