Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Levels/Adding Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Water Levels/Adding Water

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how you go about maintaining proper water levels in the pool. Assuming no leaks or other issues, is it common to have to add water on a routine basis or should a pool remain relatively steady?

I assume weather/climate factors in to this equation, I am in the heart of the Midwest.
    Indiana - 25k Gallon (16' by 36') - Vinyl Liner - A.O. Smith Century Centurion B128 1HP Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Levels/Adding Water

You will always lose water to splash out and evaporation. How much will depend on temperature, wind, surface area, etc., and how much rainfall you get.

So the short answer is, having to top off the water every now and then is definitely within the realm of normal.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

How do I know when there is too much water in my pool? We've had a lot of rain and there is more to coming.
    15K, AG, 2HP dual speed pump SwimPro Voyager, cartridge filter Voyager, installed 5/2015, dipstick water testing method, Zodiac Kondiki cleaner, filled with well-water

4. Back To Top    #4

Your skimmer may have indicator marks on the face of it about half way up the opening. That would be the minimum for optimum skimming.

I start draining if the level gets within an inch of the top of my skimmer which is about 3" above the minimum marks.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you! I am assuming that I can drain out of the back of my filter. Should I shut off the pump and just let it drain?
    15K, AG, 2HP dual speed pump SwimPro Voyager, cartridge filter Voyager, installed 5/2015, dipstick water testing method, Zodiac Kondiki cleaner, filled with well-water

6. Back To Top    #6

You could do that but it will take a while, depending on how much you need to drain it. Just don't walk away and forget about it, you could drain it a lot more than you want.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit