I must be missing something...or I have Wabbaseka's disease

strutaway

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2013
LA (Lower Arkansas)
On my way to work I pass through two little towns, Wabbaseka first, then Altheimer. I will leave you to figure out that LA (Lower Arkansas) joke. :D

On to my problem. I have had small pools for twelve years. Mostly I have had no trouble. I have always used pucks. Reading on here for several years, getting a test kit, and testing my water near the end of summer last year, my CYA was totally out of sight. Would not register. We drain most years because of a heavy leaf load so I think, no problem. I will just start with TFP this year. I finished out last year with bleach adding about two cups a day which doesn't make sense since the CYA was so high.

This year, we drained and filled the pool. I thought, no CYA, (I tested it.) so made a trip to Wally World for some shock. Bad mistake. My one bag of shock (calcium hypochlorite)turned the pool cloudy. Since then, I have been using bleach to try to clear it up. No luck. Still cloudy. Below are my latest numbers taken at 7:00 PM.

FC 9.0
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 110
CH 20
CYA 50

We added two pounds of CYA Monday. I checked it today even though it hasn't been a week. It registers 50. We bought one of the little SWG's to try this year. It is plumbed, but I have not started using it yet.

I am figuring my pool to be 6500 gallons. I have been raising my chlorine trying to get it to clear up. Went to shock level last night. May not be high enough. First I figured for CYA of 40 because that is what we added to the pool

Any help appreciated. I have been writing all the numbers down, so have earlier test results. I was aiming for shock level of 20. Only had 28 ounces of bleach for this morning. Can't remember what Pool Math called for, but it wasn't enough.

I will add pictures as soon as I figure out how again. Wabbaseka's Disease strikes again.

Since your test results actually look pretty decent, I believe your water is cloudy simply because it hasn't been filtered enough. It may take some time.......that's a pretty small filter for your size pool so I think your best bet is to...

1. Backwash your sand filter as needed.....keep an eye on your psi and backwash when it gains 25%

2. Run your pump and filter 24/7 until it clears.

3 Brush as often as necessary. Even if it means stirring and making it more cloudy......you have to get the dirt up off the floor to be sucked into the filter

4. Vacuum as often as you can.

5.. Don't use Cal hypo any more.

That is today's dust on the bottom. Barracuda is working now. I run the pump 24/7 due to dust situation. Barracuda at night, skim during the day when the dust is the worst. This is a farm. Fields and gravel roads all around. The sand filter is too small? It is three times the size of the small sand filters you can get from Intex.

If this picture posts, it is from last year.

If anything, deep clean the sand filter. You don't have to replace the sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.