Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ducks in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Ducks in pool

So how do I keep ducks out of my pool?
    34x18 doughboy (desert springs) above ground. Has deep end, but don't know depth yet. Pool came with house (first season). 22in sand filter (250lbs sand)with 1.5hp two speed pump. Pentair MiniMax ch 200m heater.
    440 gallon Emerald spa. Currently a 3.6hp, 2 speed, 46y, 240volts motor. Changing to a 3hp, 2 speed, 56y, 240volt motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Ducks in pool

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post

Lol
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

maniquin in a floatie with a plastic shotgun
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Leave a beach ball floating around in your pool. Never had to do it but I heard it works.

Two Retrievers would work too..LOL
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You can put some inflatable pool toys! I've got a crocodile pool toy. Remember that not all toy will do the effect, always choose the scarier and bigger one!
    We look forward to providing you with the best Adelaide Leak Detection Equipment and Services.

7. Back To Top    #7

When's duck season in your area?
    24,000 Rectangular Vinyl IG, Sand, 1.5 Hayward Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Shotgun. Gets rid of ducks and provides you with a dinner or two.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Buy a Primo XL and smoke em!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Cowboy Casey wins this one I think.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Get some very heavy fishing line and string it across the pool in a grid overhead. They can't see it easily, but when they encounter it they feel trapped and stay away.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

12. Back To Top    #12

Can vouch for the fishing line approach. Had to do that with a koi pond at different house to stop stuff from eating my fish. Worked pretty well.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Looks like I need to slam this pond water but ducks aren't a problem with a good dog around!
    24,000 gal in ground, Gunite, Sand filter, Hayward 140,000 btu heat pump, Pentair Superflow VS, Polaris pool sweep, TF-100 test kit w/speed stir

14. Back To Top    #14

If anyone doesn't mind my asking - what's the harm of ducks in the pool? There's nothing for them to eat there, they're not going to stick around. I know they might defecate in the pool but we have filters for that, right? They might drop a feather or two?

15. Back To Top    #15

They may be carrying parasites that could get into the water then to humans. Not a pleasant thought.
    Steve

16. Back To Top    #16

I know several people farther south in Louisiana that have had this side effect from ducks in the pool:

alligators-in-pool.jpg

Thankfully the nearest gators are 5 or so miles from my pool, although I did have a 6 ft Water Moccasin in the pool last week, must have came in while one of the doors was left open, it shed its skin in the pool house kitchen before going for a swim.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

17. Back To Top    #17

5 miles is waayyy too close!
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Time to call in the Swamp People and Duck Commander! No gators and no ducks.
    Steve

19. Back To Top    #19

5 miles are the nearest ones, they don't get common until about 35 miles south of here, and don't become every day sights along the side of the road for another 35 miles or so. The worst thing about them is their droppings, if you thought duck droppings are bad, try droppings that contain ducks.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Red Neckerson View Post
    If anyone doesn't mind my asking - what's the harm of ducks in the pool? There's nothing for them to eat there, they're not going to stick around. I know they might defecate in the pool but we have filters for that, right? They might drop a feather or two?
    Ducks and birds in general are a nuisance in your pool. They drop feathers and copious amounts of poop, and if they decide your pool is their new private pond, they will defend "their territory" every time you go out.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!