I happily went to the...gasp...Pool Store

Sep 12, 2013
Montgomery,Al
Took a trip to the pool store today got a new vacuum pole, skimmer basket and safety rope. As I stood in line I literally had to stand putting one foot on top of the other, bite my tongue and hum to myself as I listened to the clerk tell a lady she needed PH Up, Calcium for her vinyl pool, Algaecide, 50 lb container of tabs etc. She paid over $200. When it came my turn to check out the clerk asked if I needed my water tested and how my water looks. I just smiled told him, no thanks, I test my own and my water is crystal clear. I did have them come out today to fix my liner that was slipping out of the coping which try as I might I couldn't do and got my light wedge installed. I'm good to go. Think we will finally have our first swim this weekend. Temp has finally reached 78!!

I understand, the few times I go there (usually for my own amusement more than anything else) I also,have to bite my tongue. My last time there they were leading a poor guy around with a shopping cart filling it up. It took two,people to assist him getting it all in his car.

I am new to this and I recognize that, but I had to pick up stabilizer and I had a coupon - anyway - I watched the girl do the water test for the poor unassuming customer and WATCHED her do it wrong and also give her incorrect results. I literally almost said something. It honestly shocked me and I don't know why. It made me think back to the last two summers when I was there weekly and wonder how much money I could have saved …. Uggh - at least I know now ..

We don't have a pool store around here because I live in the sticks but I often see people standing in the pool supply aisle at Walmart with dumbfounded looks on their faces. Either that or you'll see a guy assuredly grabbing supplies like he knows exactly what he's doing. I want to speak up but it's hard to tell a stranger they don't know jack....LOL The only reason I even go to the pool supply aisle there is to get CYA or an occasional bag of pool salt.

I work with a girl and her pool is currently a swamp. I tried to tell her about TFP but she swears they have to use only the Walmart pucks because they have a plaster pool.

Tonight she tells me she doesn't have algae but a chemical reaction. Over the weekend she used floc, then today the pool store told her she has metals and no alkalinity so they sent her home with a bunch of stuff which caused a chemical reaction in her pool and her jets were shooting out green foam. So now she has to go back tomorrow and get more stuff to help with the chemical reaction.

I just shook my head and walked away.

Last time I went I needed a $3.00 rubber stopper. The woman in front of me bought $260 of chemicals after some "advice" from the store manager.
Not one of which I recognized by the way...

By the way, I love the smell of a pool store. Reminds me that Summer is here in CT.

I work with a girl and her pool is currently a swamp. I tried to tell her about TFP but she swears they have to use only the Walmart pucks because they have a plaster pool.

Tonight she tells me she doesn't have algae but a chemical reaction. Over the weekend she used floc, then today the pool store told her she has metals and no alkalinity so they sent her home with a bunch of stuff which caused a chemical reaction in her pool and her jets were shooting out green foam. So now she has to go back tomorrow and get more stuff to help with the chemical reaction.

I just shook my head and walked away.

OUCH! Saw the same here several times today!

- - - Updated - - -

TFP has a store with TShirts I think the link is in the sponsor button

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the link
http://www.cafepress.com/troublefreepoolstore

Going to check it out right now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will never forget when a lady in the pool store tried to sell me their "signature" alkalinity up product for nearly $30, which was just a nicely branded bag of a baking soda. Same arm&hammer one that's in Costco for $7. I suppose that's business and the American way, so can't really blame the store, but I'm just glad I found this site and all you guys here!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pool stores are in a business that is involved in a changing model, many just don't understand it. First, they are at a disadvantage in that most have a limited season. It is only very far south that a store can truly expect 12 month sales to support them.

Second, they are competing in the same labor pool as everyone else, paying minimum wage for the most part. This severely limits their employee choices, a lot of time to those who can accept the seasonal work - high school/college kids.

Third, limited training other than "on the job" which results in a lack of understanding on the employee conducting the tests. What training may be available is more sales training conducted by manufacturer representatives who are really just teaching how to sell the latest product.

Forth, the Internet. Not only the knowledge from sites such as this but the availability of products with next/second day shipping at less than what the brick & mortar sells it for is cuttin into their sales. As an example of this last year I needed a new light bulb, 500watt. A quick Amazon search showed it at $17 and two day shipping with my Prime membership. I am an instant geatfication kind of guy so I thought, a pool store purchase! I ran down to the store and the only thing they had were 400 watt bulbs (they explained it was all anyone needed) and they were $39. Now, I've run businesses before and know they have to keep the lights on. I'm willing to pay a little more for,them to have it there on the shelf, and heck my pool isn't so large a 400watt bulb won't work. I talked to the manager about the price and even mentioned Amazon. They did not discount, take it or leave it.

I go to one of several pool stores a couple of times a year. One store really likes me because I purchased my M5 from them as well as a Hot Springs spa. I get my water sampled to see if they do it right and to listen to the banter in the store. I don't think all or even most pool store owners are evil trying to keep your pool green to increase sales. They are just very poorly trained and informed. They don't know that that fancy AlkUp is just baking soda.

Last edited:
Well said Tim. It's hard to be reasonable and disagree. They adhere too, and stick with the "tribal knowledge" they've learned in the past. I admire anyone trying to make it on their own with a business, but this one has to be a tough one.

surprisingly, the local family run pool store I go to when necessary actually has their stuff together
as far as i can tell. And they don't carry any of the "voodoo" chemicals mentioned to not do any good for your pool here.

I even had a conversation with one of the owners son (early 30's) recently about CYA levels
and was surprised to hear him talk like a TFP'r. They also carry ALL of the re-agents used
in the TF-100 which is pretty convenient.

Two things though, it is so poorly ventilated your eyes almost start to water in there
with all the chemicals and whenever I leave, about 5 minutes later I have a weird taste
in my mouth.

Also one of their two service guys is a huge flake. I don't know why they haven't fired him.

I work with a girl and her pool is currently a swamp...then today the pool store told her she has metals and no alkalinity so they sent her home with a bunch of stuff which caused a chemical reaction in her pool and her jets were shooting out green foam.

I feel bad for your friend but picturing that is hilarious. Hopefully she'll come to her senses and take your advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.