Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic Cover color choice

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic Cover color choice

We are at the point where we need to decide on the color of out automatic cover. We are using Coverstar. We have a mid atlantic climate. My thoughts are covers are going to get dirty, so which color will show more or less dirt. Our coping is Walnut Travertine. We are leaning towards Royal or Light Blue. At this point its six one, half dozen of the other. Is one color harder to maintain appearance over the other? Or do all covers equally show dirt and wear over time? Auto cover owners, are you happy with your color choice?

Thanks!

Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automatic Cover color choice

My only concern when picking the color was that it not look like cement (gray) in the dark so someone might accidentally step on it not realizing there was a pool there. We went with the light blue. Dirt shows but not bad, it just gets washed off once or twice a year with car wash cleaner and a big long broom and hose.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Is it like car colors - darker colors show dirt more than lighter colors? Or does a darker color for the pool cover help with keeping the pool warm? Whenever I've seen tan outdoor covers for miscellaneous things, it always looks so dingy and dirty. My vote is for Light Blue. Maybe the best of both worlds - FWIW. Sorry to jump in when I don't own a pool cover (or even have a completed pool, yet)! But as the saying goes....."Everyone's got an opinion!" Take care. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

We got one that is close to royal. Dark colors do show more dirt but i wanted something that looks like water (kind of), and that might absorb heat better. Prob tan would be best at not showing dirt but I didn't want that in my yard.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

We are surrounded with large trees so we have the green and also a forest green hot tub cover. It blends nice with the landscape..they will all get dirty.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

We have been selling and installing covers for almost 20 years. Had a customer that I just ordered their replacement cover, the original was nine years old and light gray. Any darker cover generally hasn't lasted as long.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Ours is charcoal, very similar to our bluestone coping. There is a partial picture on page 5 of our build thread in my signature. The picture sort of shows what general dirt looks like on ours. I think our color does a fairly good job of disguising dirt though. The dirt/grime forms most where the cover pump is left. Best to position it in the same location each time to have one area be very dirty versus the whole thing.
    I'm about to clean it after two years and put a UV protectant on it. I bought a gallon of Aerospace Protectant 303 to use after a good wash.
    Best of luck with your choice.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

We just selected our cover color 2 days ago, choosing the dark green. I think the colors in the sample swatches will be a little lighter in appearance in the real life large size - so even though the dark green seems dark for us, I think it will match our home colors pretty well and offer some contrast to our grey coping and deck when closed. Who knows though until we have it installed...
    2015 Build Link: 15'x30' Rectangle (3'-6", 5', 4' depth) 14,000 Gallon Pool, Finish: Wet Edge Primera Stone Black Kona. TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin DX5+S Robot, Jandy CL460 Filter, VS 2HP pump, AquaPure 1400 SWG, iAqualink2, Automatic Safety Cover. No Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Honestly, when it comes down to it, light colors show dirt as dark, while dark colors show dirt as light. I don't know if there is ever a best choice. I had a 1991 Honda Accord that was Seattle Silver (champagne), and it never showed a thing. Always looked clean even when I knew it was dirty. I say pick the one that looks the best in your application and keep what swimcmp said in mind.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Hey if we're gonna give you our opinion, we need to know your final decision!
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking

11. Back To Top    #11

I was going to wait till the pictures but we went with light blue. Honestly, it was a toss up. Thanks bmoreswim for the protectant idea.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    My only concern when picking the color was that it not look like cement (gray) in the dark so someone might accidentally step on it not realizing there was a pool there. We went with the light blue. Dirt shows but not bad, it just gets washed off once or twice a year with car wash cleaner and a big long broom and hose.
    My mother in law did this exact thing...during the DAY! She had a plate of food, walked out the door, onto the deck, and stepped right onto the cover. She said, "oh geez, I forgot ya all got a pool." Our cover is gray. Personally, I like that it looks like concrete. It blends in when we aren't using the pool.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Thanks for the update. I look forward to pics of it installed. But I'm sure not as much as you look forward to it being installed.
    We've had ours for two years (we use a separate Merlin mesh winter cover) and had the first maintenance performed this year. It was the lowest level of visit they offer at $250 (didn't include box cleaning or cover cleaning both of which I can do) but resolved our issues between adjustments and 4 leaking pulleys replaced under warranty. The idea with the cover is similar to a car...you will want to do some routine maintenance to avert bigger issues. They are an investment to be maintained in addition to the pool itself.

14. Back To Top    #14

We have an APC in grey. Kind of by default. Did not want blue or green, charcoal was too dark. The grey attracts enough sun to help heat in the spring/fall but is easy to keep clean.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois