Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just about ready... Borates or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mishawaka, IN

Just about ready... Borates or not?

Thanks to a really warm week, we're just about ready for the first dip in our recently rehabbed pool. Did an OCLT last night/this morning and it was < .5 - yay! pH was perfect and TA is still higher than desired, so I'm going to slowly work that down over the summer with aeration and muriatic acid. The first round of MA just went in today and dropped pH right down to where I targeted.

This evening's test:
    FC: 7
    pH: 7.2
    CC: .5
    CYA: 50
    TA: 140
    CH: 225

I think rather than burn pump time to aerate and get that pH back up, I'd like to go ahead and add-in the right amount of borax - is there ANY reason not to from a chemical standpoint? I do have two large dogs that will be swimming it frequently, but I've done the homework on that already and understand the risks.

Still loving how EASY TFPC is... I was expecting a lot more work as a first-time pool owner!
    * 18,500 gallons // 16x32 In-Ground Vinyl (27 mil Crystal Wave Aquaria) // Hayward SuperPump SP2605X7 3/4 HP // Hayward S220T Sand Filter // Hayward H250 Gas Heater // Hayward CL200 Chlorinator // Single skimmer + two return jets *

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Just about ready... Borates or not?

Your pH level is fine. Leave it. It will come up on its own.

For future reference, using a little borax to raise the pH is NOT the same as "adding borates" which requires many many boxes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!