Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with balance after new liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Cropwell, AL

Help with balance after new liner

Hello all! New to the forum. I found this forum as a result of replacing my liner this spring as well (should go in this week). My past experience has been with chlorine. This is my first experience with salt water pools; we bought the house last summer and just kept the salt levels as per the control panel.

But the prospects of replacing the liner left me without a clue until I found this thread. Maybe there should be a "Start Up" forum topic???

Anyway, as I read these posts, and use the Pool Math calculations, I think this is my start-up chemical mix and process given my pool volume:

1. Adjust pH
    2. Add about 160oz. of 8% bleach to get FC to ~4
    3. Add about 20oz of CYA to get CYA of ~70
    4. Adjust TA
    5. Add about 500lbs of salt to get salt to ~2800 - 3000ppm
    6. Turn on pump and allow to circulate for ~24 hours
    7. Plug in the SWG
    8. Fill floating ice chest with ~6 ice cold BL's
    9. Open BL, chill
    10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 as necessary

I'm surprised by the relatively small amount of bleach necessary. Is this approximately correct?

18 X 36 Sport, ~21,800 gal, SWG, (more to follow when I get the specifics).

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: new vinyl liner

Hi, Thumbsup. Welcome to TFP. Please start your own new thread with these questions and we'll be happy to help!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach