Sand Filter Started Leaking and then Stopped

jkayca

Jul 5, 2014
Ottawa Ontario
Hi Folks,

I started the process of opening my pool for the season. Things were going well until I engaged the sand filter (Haywood model). Yesterday I just had the system turned to waste mode to clear the antifreeze out of the lines and then turned it to recirculate to get the air out the lines etc. Today, I switched it to filter but then water started pouring out of it. See pictures attached.

That was this morning and I didn't have time to investigate as I had to go to work so I shut things down. After work today, I turned the pump back on and almost immediately the sand filter started leaking again. This time I let it run for a bit while I got a hose to the pool to add water. I come back maybe an hour later and miraculously the leak has stopped.

I guess my question is, should I be concerned? Is their a seal inside the unit that needs to be wet before it works properly?

Thanks,

20150507_161432.jpg20150507_161442.jpg

There is certainly going to be a seal of some sort there, but I can't see it needing to be "wet".

Google the model number of your filter and you should be able to find an exploded parts diagram to see how that connection goes together. You may be able to figure out the mystery with a picture.

Thanks for the replies.

@tim: I did find a diagram. There's apparently a valve/tank o-ring between the control valve and the tank itself.

@borjis: I tightened the screw but only by a little bit. Perhaps a 1/4 turn at the most.

I'm thinking maybe the o-ring got shifted slightly during the winter. Running the filter may have settled it down. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.