Pump and Filter Noises. Normal??

wrems

May 7, 2015
River Falls, WI
Hello all!

First post. First time pool owner. Learning lots.

I’ve only had the pool open less than a week. I opened it myself. I just received my Taylor test kit and picked up my initial supplies to jump on the BBB bandwagon. My first test and chemical dump was today and it seems as though I’m on my way to a TFP.

My question is about the noises that come from the pump/sand filter. As of today, actually after my chemical dump my filter seems to have taken on more of a sloshing and gurgling series of noises and the pump has noticeable water activity going through it. Prior to this, the pump area barely looked like water was racing through it even though it was, and I don’t think there were noises like this coming from the filter.

Here’s a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Yac0xaxcE

Thanks for any help as I continue learning.

Yea, it looks like a couple of old paper towels spinning in the strainer basket. On the sand filter is there apurge valve of some sort to get the air out. Sounds like the filter is filled,with mostly air and the water being pumped in is just sloshing around.

My numbers were:
FC 5
PH 7
TA 70
CYA 70

My pool is approximately 22,000 gallons so I used the calculator to get the amounts. So I added just shy of a gallon of bleach, something like 40 ounces of baking soda and an entire box of borax. It called for more borax but I decided to pull back on dumping the full amount. I'll add more tomorrow if needed.

I added the bleach straight into the pool. I added both the baking soda and borax directly in the skimmer slowly.

Since my original post I decided to do a backwash and rinse. To my surprise, even though I just backwashed a day or so ago there was a lot of junk in the site glass. Additionally, there is no more gurgling, and the pumps strainer glass is perfect again. No more swirls and air bubbles. So I guess it was just in need of a backwash/rinse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.