Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump and Filter Noises. Normal??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump and Filter Noises. Normal??

Hello all!

First post. First time pool owner. Learning lots.

Iíve only had the pool open less than a week. I opened it myself. I just received my Taylor test kit and picked up my initial supplies to jump on the BBB bandwagon. My first test and chemical dump was today and it seems as though Iím on my way to a TFP.

My question is about the noises that come from the pump/sand filter. As of today, actually after my chemical dump my filter seems to have taken on more of a sloshing and gurgling series of noises and the pump has noticeable water activity going through it. Prior to this, the pump area barely looked like water was racing through it even though it was, and I donít think there were noises like this coming from the filter.

Hereís a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Yac0xaxcE

Thanks for any help as I continue learning.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump and Filter Noises. Normal??

Welcome to TFP!!!

What chemicals did you add and how did you add them?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome

What the heck is inside the pump strainer basket?

I hope you didn't confuse skimmer basket with strainer basket when you added the CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea, it looks like a couple of old paper towels spinning in the strainer basket. On the sand filter is there apurge valve of some sort to get the air out. Sounds like the filter is filled,with mostly air and the water being pumped in is just sloshing around.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

My numbers were:
    FC 5
    PH 7
    TA 70
    CYA 70

My pool is approximately 22,000 gallons so I used the calculator to get the amounts. So I added just shy of a gallon of bleach, something like 40 ounces of baking soda and an entire box of borax. It called for more borax but I decided to pull back on dumping the full amount. I'll add more tomorrow if needed.

I added the bleach straight into the pool. I added both the baking soda and borax directly in the skimmer slowly.

Since my original post I decided to do a backwash and rinse. To my surprise, even though I just backwashed a day or so ago there was a lot of junk in the site glass. Additionally, there is no more gurgling, and the pumps strainer glass is perfect again. No more swirls and air bubbles. So I guess it was just in need of a backwash/rinse.

6. Back To Top    #6

You should backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

There's no gauge anywhere on my system. I guess I'll need to get one.

8. Back To Top    #8

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator