AquaComfort vs Hayward Heat Pump?

May 7, 2015
NJ
Hello all, After three years as a pool owner I am pulling the trigger on a heatpump this year. I can't go gas, service is all the way around the other side of house and would be impossible to run pipe. Been keeping slighty warmer in the Jersey sun with solar discs last three years but the ones I was using are no longer available. I really can't use a real on my pool with my layout for a solar cover either. So I was hoping to keep pool at least 80F with a heatpump.
No my only problem is deciding what brand to go with. I am also buying all new equipment too.I have an OLD jacuzzi sand filter with a 1.5hp pump(I have been told over kill for my size) now which I have been milking along.I was leaning towards a Hayward heat pump, but local store said they have better luck with AquaComfort heat pumps.Not familiar with this brand. Also since I'm doing pump too should I go with a two speed pump to help circulate at night?Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

I was leaning toward the Hayward Heat pump till local store started recommending Aqua comfort over it. What kind of price difference did you see between the two?

The price difference was substantial, close to $2000. I haven't been able to use the heat pump yet due to an issue I am having with my skimmers :grrrr: so I can't speak to actual functionality but some other folks on here have the same model I have and are happy.

Also the $2000 price difference was for a smaller Aqua comfort BTU unit (125,000) than the one I got, plus since I bought it online I didn't have to pay sales tax or shipping.

I have the 140k BTU Hayward. Second full season this year with it, and so far, perfect. I see about a 4-5 degree temp difference on the water from the heater, which seems pretty good. It does a great job keeping my pool at temp. I'm very happy with it. Now my neighbor had his pool put in one season before me, and has an Aqua. He's had two repair calls on it already. Not sure if he has bad luck, but for whatever it's worth...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks.. Trying to figure out what the **** to get.. I'm now also leaning towards a 2 speed pump to run on low at night to help with heating.

Not sure if you have one yet, but if you don't you should get a solar pool cover. From what I have read cool nights is one of the major contributors to heat loss, this will help to maintain the heat you have reached while the pump is not running.

I have the Jandy JE3000T heat pump. The specs say the minimum flow is 20 GPM, max is 70 GPM and the optimal is 60 GPM. It is new and supplied by my contractor. The only surprise has been the condensation coming off the HP will cause me to provide a better drain. Might you consider a variable speed pump? I don't really trust sales people and think the store MIGHT be pushing a more expensive model for their own benefit. Everyone has to make a living. When it is cool out, the heat pump will not heat the pool. It does a great job heating the spa up to 104 F. Good luck.

If the pool water temp is less than the outside air temp, you can realize substantial energy savings by linking the heat pump to your home AC. Heat pumps gain efficiency as temperature gradient decreases.

If you heat your home using a heat pump, you can save energy by using pool water IF you can keep liquid water circulating. A hard freeze of the pool, though, would cause no end of problems.

Thanks for responses.. Still trying to get pool companies to give me straight answers of even a call back is impossible. Talked to Hayward they said don't go with 2 speed pump. But the variable speed pump will work.

I have an AquaComfort model. I have been happy with it, but I have only had it for about a month. I have a two speed pump and the heater does run on the low speed. I keep mine at 85. It does a nice job of getting the water back up to 85. I have a solar cover, and during the cooler nights it will drop down to about 80. As WardL said, I was a bit surprised by the amount of condensation, so do think about the drainage issue when you go to install.

We have had a aqua comfort 125 k hp. Last 9 years has kept the pool at 85.. Got a low press code recently and waiting for. A service call. I would buy another AQ but am leaning towards the hayward that only heats since we are in NJ. All the heaters seem similar but the scroll compressors seem to be best quality.. I have 3 calls in to AQ and if necessary I will just replace... Hoping existing unit just needs a freon charge of r 22 gas yikes

Ok..I'm in final planning stages.Had to do alot more research to make sure I got my basis covered.

HP21104T 110,000 BTU Heat pump
With this I will be ordering the SP2302VSP MaxFlo variable speed pump and a new 250Lb sand filter.

One other question is with the hayward chlorinator I know I need a check valve to prevent backflow to heater. Any one better than the other? Jandy or the hayward brand?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.