My user name says it all!

Just so you know, I think you are way closer than you think..you've done such a good job getting the **** out...if you would just get the kit so you weren't working blind you could nail this and not look back. The clarity combined with color could mean if not for iron (which if present, can add yellow color to blue to get green appearance) you might be darn near clear right now.

However, In your pool store readings, if at all accurate, your CYA at 97 is going to be a problem, as you've probably read in pool school. So a a series of partial water changes would be in order (eg with vinyl liner, 30% would be safe as long as that leaves a foot or two in shallow end.) that will also help with the iron if your supply water is iron free.

There are a couple of "good" TFP-recommended metal sequestrants that would (in the future) help control the iron and ultimately clear up any water discoloration.

But first, you'd need to address the high CYA, then through testing to know you're finished the slam...because they don't work well with high chlorine.

Post back if you're up for continuing the quest after the party and we'll help you sort it out. You could always give your daughter the TFTkit as a present and tell her you're going to teach her chemistry!;) That way you'd have a pool girl o help out!

I know there is iron based off of what pool store guys said, and that I live in Birmingham AL, which has many "nick names" one of which is "Iron City". I am going to get a few gallons of bleach, keep using the vac and brush, and try to do my best guessing on how much bleach to add in order to keep from having to start all over, but it may be a week or two before we can try again. My friend is bringing somekind of kit today. even if it isnt the TF, if it measures CYA I am going to test and post results.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the positive replies and advice. Much appreciated.

That will be fantastic. Maybe you'll get lucky, and he will have the FAS/DPD kit in there too.

Isn't that the cl/br/ph dummy test I posted last night? I had a HARD time reading it. It told me to use the same vial and drops for the CL and the BR test. The color was dark, and didn't change much. The ph was really high, based off of the deep purple color, but it said on the destructions that PH and BR have to be within range for proper ph test??

- - - Updated - - -

I was in your shoes once with no money to even afford the TF-100 but I saved up and got one and I'm telling you that it will make your life so much easier and you WILL get that pool clear with it. Just a crying shame that the freakin pool store robbed you.

In his defense... he GAVE us quite a bit of stuff over the last week. I truly don't think he knows better than what he has been told by suppliers....

Isn't that the cl/br/ph dummy test I posted last night? I had a HARD time reading it. It told me to use the same vial and drops for the CL and the BR test. The color was dark, and didn't change much. The ph was really high, based off of the deep purple color, but it said on the destructions that PH and BR have to be within range for proper ph test??

- - - Updated - - -

In his defence... he GAVE us quite a bit of stuff over the last week. I truly don't think he knows better than what he has been told by suppliers....
no, the FAS/DPD test uses powder, then you count drops until the solution turns clear. It is both easier to use than the color match test it can read FC up to 50, where the color match has a limit of 5. That is why we say you need the FAS/DPD because during a SLAM you will be measuring FC well above 5

You are correct, most pool store folks are just small business people trying to earn a living. They do,get a lot of their knowledge from chemical sales people.

Isn't that the cl/br/ph dummy test I posted last night?

OK, I actually read the TF100 page, and noticed the difference between my dollar store kit, and the tf100. Should I plan to use borates later? (i ask because if i need those strips later, i want to order them with the kit)

- - - Updated - - -

no, the FAS/DPD test uses powder, then you count drops until the solution turns clear. It is both easier to use than the color match test it can read FC up to 50, where the color match has a limit of 5. That is why we say you need the FAS/DPD because during a SLAM you will be measuring FC well above 5

You are correct, most pool store folks are just small business people trying to earn a living. They do,get a lot of their knowledge from chemical sales people.

Thanks, Yeah, Im starting to get it lol. I was not blonde before I went bald, I promise :D

I assume friends kit is as useless as mine....

ee42cc4c608b61b4703d0e11186a4801.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

just looked it up, doesnt measure cya. i wish i could find cya only local until i could get the tf100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.