Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: My user name says it all!

1. Back To Top    #1

My user name says it all!

I have been reading this forum for a week after google introduced us. I have read "pool School" a couple of times in the time since I first visited. My family and I have just moved into a home with a 25,000 gal inground chlorine pool. Upon removing the cover, not knowing anything about a pool, I commenced to pulling 20 trees out of it (sarcasm) and dealing with the swamp. In 12 days, I have used 35# of shock, two different algaecides, and 4 bottles of floc. While it is now lime green as opposed to deep forest green, my little girl's birthday party is Saturday, and It looks as if no end is in sight. I told my wife today that we need to get a TF-100 test kit after reading (over and over) on this site to not rely on the pool store, which i am finding is one of my many many mistakes. Im not asking for any advice right now, because I know the resounding reply will be "what are your test results?". SO, with that said, I just wanted to thank you all for the info I have gotten so far, I will keep trying to understand pool chemistry 101, and I will report back ASAP with my test results in hope of being able to swim (in clear water) before MY birthday at the end of this month!
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My user name says it all!

I'm so sorry your little girl will not have a pool for her birthday, but it's great you understand what's going on. Keep pulling as much stuff out of the pool as you can.

We would recommend discontinuing the use of algecides, floc and shock and stick with liquid chlorine.

Check out SLAMing your pool in Pool School because that is what you will be doing when you get everything ready.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I think the leaves (and Hickory nuts) are out now. I havent gotten any more algaecides since I noticed it is a waste. I drove (30 miles) home on my lunch break today and dumped bleach in it. I have been reading and reading, but honestly don't understand it all. I hope to understand more clearly soon. I have spent way too much $$$ on chemicals. A dump truck would have been so much cheaper!
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

The good news is, that once you've gotten it clean and everything running, your costs will go way down.

Unfortunately there is no magic bullet that will clear it overnight.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

OH, how I wish there were!

6. Back To Top    #6

Alright, that is a good goal! Welcome to TFP! Great first post. You'll be posting a success story soon enough!

Here is info on updating your sig, here.

Here are some pointers to some Pool School articles that are sometimes extra helpful for newbies.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool, after SLAM.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool, after SLAM.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add

And in case you missed it here is an article about SLAMing Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

You've been playing this game at the pool store, huh?

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the links, pooldv! I will work on updating my sig, and reading/comprehending the two pool school articles you linked tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You've been playing this game at the pool store, huh?

yeah, and I'm out of quarters!

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi, welcome to TFP! Sorry you are having to deal with a swamp, but stick with us and we will help you get it clean!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Welcome! Definitely loose all the shock, floc and algaecide you have been using. But a TF 100 With a speed stir upgrade to XL. Read through the SLAM process in pool school and we will be here to guide you through everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add stock up on some bleach.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, "pool store" tests from yesterday. TA 0
    PH 6.3
    Stabilizer (is this CYA?) 97
    Chlorine 3.7
    that is all they gave us. Wife said he told her there is iron, but didn't say how much, or how to get it out.... I can't figure out how to post pics with tapatalk. I'm really ready to give up. I have no idea what to do here.

12. Back To Top    #12

I thought Tapatalk was easy to post pictures with? They used to host them for you too. Although I use a very old version.

Alternatively: To post more/larger pictures, you either need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Don't give up! You just need to get a kit and start reading through pool school
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

14. Back To Top    #14

My previous post was my very first using tapatalk, so I'm having info overload.

15. Back To Top    #15

Some of these are for my reference later so I can update sig

16. Back To Top    #16

Th is was 2 days ago

17. Back To Top    #17

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

That is a lovely shade of green, but we can help you get it to a lovely sparkling crystal blue. It will take time and patience.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanted to add that my SLAM process is linked in my signature along with a recommended test kit.
    Lisa

19. Back To Top    #19

I have been shocking, flocing, vacuuming for 12 days, with no time to spend with my family.... a TON of money. When I backwash, the water is pretty clear. It's like everything I have done has rendered very little progress

20. Back To Top    #20

But you did not have a test kit, so you were not likely "shocking" correctly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast