Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How likely is it my pump was damaged?

1. Back To Top    #1

How likely is it my pump was damaged?

I received my new Hayward 6060 booster pump in the mail today. The box was obviously dropped. The outside box is crushed on one side and the cardboard supports in the inner box that hold the pump is ripped such the the motor is pressed against the side of the box. There are no obvious signs of damage to the pump/motor itself.

How likely is it that it may be damaged internally by this?

Attachment 36120

Attachment 36121
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How likely is it my pump was damaged?

It's probably fine, but I'd check the entire motor and the wet end very closely for cracks, etc..
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    It's probably fine, but I'd check the entire motor and the wet end very closely for cracks, etc..
    Thanks.

I just called Amazon and said I can give it a try, and if there are any issues to contact them and they will replace it. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

PS - the outside of the inner box doesn't show any damage.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds good to me ... at least it should be on record now with Amazon.

I bet it is fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the reassurance.

Edit: I pulled it out of the box and there is a slight dent in the back metal housing

Attachment 36125

Is this cause for concern?

6. Back To Top    #6

That's just cosmetic. You can pull the cover off to be sure if you want to.

As to whether you should send it back it's up to you if you want to live with the dented cover.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    That's just cosmetic. You can pull the cover off to be sure if you want to.

As to whether you should send it back it's up to you if you want to live with the dented cover.
    I pulled the back cover off and don't see any damage. The minor dent doesn't bother me as long as it works fine. It's not like my equipment pad would win any beauty contests...lol.

8. Back To Top    #8

It's alive!

Got it installed (boy does my back ache!) and it seems to be running fine. It's far quieter than my old Hayward 5060 booster pump ever was. It's even quieter than my main pump motor that I installed one or two seasons ago. As a matter of fact with the main pump on (required to run the booster pump) you can barely hear the booster pump even standing next to it.

Here's hoping it continues to perform well for many, many years to come.

Btw, in my haste to replace the dead booster pump (I hate manual vacuuming!!) I also ordered a new hose kit (not from Amazon) thinking I needed it for the new booster pump. Turns out the old hoses work with the new pump just fine. If I returned the new hose kit I would lose almost as much in shipping costs as the hose kit cost, so I guess I'll just keep it as a spare.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good plan. You know as soon as you return it the old hose will break!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Good deal saturn, glad the pump wasnt damaged. Even happier that you seem to very impressed with it being so quiet!

And Zea is right, as soon as you return that hose kit, the old will spring a leak!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Good plan. You know as soon as you return it the old hose will break!
    Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Good deal saturn, glad the pump wasnt damaged. Even happier that you seem to very impressed with it being so quiet!

And Zea is right, as soon as you return that hose kit, the old will spring a leak!
    Thanks.

The old hose is 11 years old, so I'll take your advice and keep the new hose kit.