Results after SLAM

Azgirl71

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 9, 2015
Sierra Vista, Az
Ok, so I finally drifted down below 10FC this morning at 9:30am 5/7/2015. Here are my results and plan of action. I ran TA and CH twice to double check

Readings after SLAM:
TC: 5
FC: 9.5
CC: 0
PH: 8.2
TA: 280 took 28 drops to change to red
CH: 550 turned a purple blue color after 23 drops
CYA: 60 I added 9.4 ozs granular stabilizer via sock sitting in skimmer to get to 75(5/5 did not test today)

Plan of attack
Lower PH to 7.0 using 76 ozs of 14.5% muratic pool acid

Please let me know if this is what you would do.

I will wait for a reply before proceeding

I am not going to worry about CH right now. I have hard water and a vinyl pool

I assume the TC you reported was really from the yellow OTO test?
In reality TC = FC + CC

There is no need to lower the pH that far unless you are trying to actively lower your TA.

I agree. It was 80 or 90 before the SLAM. I saw the process of lower TA and PH with MA then aeration to bring PH back up. I am still not at home but will add 1/2 the 76 ozs of 14.5% MA and test again later to see where I am at Unless someone else's has a betterms suggestion.

I seem to remember your test kit is pretty new. Did you read the instructions about wiping the dropper tip with a damp cloth? If not, that may be skewing your test to the high side.

I will add to push the CH test until it is Blue. Sounds like you got close but not all the way to end point.

Double check the TA as Duraleigh suggested, wiping the R0009 bottle tip. It shouldn't have moved like that. Do this re check before adding acid.

As Blizzle mentions, your TC is 9.5 and I assume you meant the OTO reading as 5 which is high limit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok here is what I got

2pm
PH: 7.8-8.2 not quite 8.2 but higher than 7.8

TA: 280 ( 28 drops of R 009 to turn from green to red. I would get hints of red on top but took 28 drops to turn all red. I wiped tip of 009 between each drop)

Show water level

Turned green

Turned red

CH: 400 did this 3 times took 25 drop of 012 to turn from red to blue
Water level

Red

Blue

Water from kitchen sink
TA: 230 (23 drops)
CH: 475

At one point our well had to be shut off during slam and I used city water to fill pool when topping off after backwashing.

So I think I should go with calling PH 8 and add 36 ozs of MA (14.5%)

Opinions?

Your fill water is like mine, and it's the culprit. If you push the pH to 7.2 every time and often, you will eventually push the TA down. in your pool, if you just manage the pH, you won't scale. You should see a fairly quick rise in pH with that TA though so just keep an eye on it.

Your test end point colors look great BTW...good job. :goodjob:

Your fill water is like mine, and it's the culprit. If you push the pH to 7.2 every time and often, you will eventually push the TA down. in your pool, if you just manage the pH, you won't scale. You should see a fairly quick rise in pH with that TA though so just keep an eye on it.

Your test end point colors look great BTW...good job. :goodjob:

Glad I am not the only one. Figured pics may help.

So I just added 36ozs. Do you think I should go ahead and add the other 36 ozs since my TA is so high or wait?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.