New Pool Build with 18" Backyard Slope

May 7, 2015
McKinney, TX
I am currently in the pool builder selection process. I have 2 separate companies providing me bids and pool designs. The major difference between the two is that one says i need a retaining wall on the back side of the pool for my 18" slope (slopes downward from the back fence line towards the house) and the other says it isn't necessary. Can anyone provide insight or should I try to get a 3rd opinion? I am a first time pool owner so any help is appreciated.

Pool located in McKinney, TX

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 171
Hi Mel!
We are close and I am getting ready to build a pool too, right at the border of Frisco and McKinney :)
I have a similar slope in my yard and have had 4 estimates. My case is different because I WANT a wall along the back, but I did want to share that 3 builders did say the wall is needed, 1 said it is not (but I think he's nuts because my yard is long and the slop continues another 18"+, so water will obviously run down hill toward the pool). If you decide not to get a retaining wall, be extra sure that water/mud from our crazy thunder storms drain away from and around the pool. Last thing you need is a pool full of mud and debris.

I'd get a 3rd estimate. I know it's a pain, but a.) getting 3 estimates is standard practice, b.) you may get new ideas from the other design!

Good luck!
Keith

Welcome to TFP, Mel! I'd definitely want to break the tie! If it were my situation, I might even get 2-3 more professional opinions. For our pool now being built, we talked to 4 PB's - pool builders. It wouldn't have hurt us to talk to one more, and we didn't have any tricky issues to concern us. We learned something new from each builder. But, if you talk to too many, it may create more confusion.

You're in the best place to soak up knowledge and experience. Lovely design, BTW! Take care! Suz.

If anyone in the Dallas area can recommend a 3rd builder, I would appreciate it. I am having trouble finding one I want to talk to because of bad reviews or BBB comments which is why I haven't talked to a 3rd already. Both companies I am dealing with now are smaller companies building 40-50 pools per year with long histories in the area.

the retaining wall is one option. would it be possible to regrade the area and/or pool. you will be excavating a lot of soil, could the pool be raised the 18" and the back area/slope flat instead of breaking towards the pool. not sure pool elevation in relation to house though if its possible.

that said, I really like the look of the retaining wall. if you make the top wide enough it would be a great place for people to sit/lay

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.