Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Build with 18" Backyard Slope

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build with 18" Backyard Slope

I am currently in the pool builder selection process. I have 2 separate companies providing me bids and pool designs. The major difference between the two is that one says i need a retaining wall on the back side of the pool for my 18" slope (slopes downward from the back fence line towards the house) and the other says it isn't necessary. Can anyone provide insight or should I try to get a 3rd opinion? I am a first time pool owner so any help is appreciated.

Pool located in McKinney, TX
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build with 18" Backyard Slope

I have no comment on the situation - but the rendering is AWESOME!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Mel!
    We are close and I am getting ready to build a pool too, right at the border of Frisco and McKinney
    I have a similar slope in my yard and have had 4 estimates. My case is different because I WANT a wall along the back, but I did want to share that 3 builders did say the wall is needed, 1 said it is not (but I think he's nuts because my yard is long and the slop continues another 18"+, so water will obviously run down hill toward the pool). If you decide not to get a retaining wall, be extra sure that water/mud from our crazy thunder storms drain away from and around the pool. Last thing you need is a pool full of mud and debris.

I'd get a 3rd estimate. I know it's a pain, but a.) getting 3 estimates is standard practice, b.) you may get new ideas from the other design!

Good luck!
    Keith
    About to build an in-ground free-from gunite pool in the back yard (no spa). Currently estimated at 19,000 gallons. Likely going with a SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP, Mel! I'd definitely want to break the tie! If it were my situation, I might even get 2-3 more professional opinions. For our pool now being built, we talked to 4 PB's - pool builders. It wouldn't have hurt us to talk to one more, and we didn't have any tricky issues to concern us. We learned something new from each builder. But, if you talk to too many, it may create more confusion.

You're in the best place to soak up knowledge and experience. Lovely design, BTW! Take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

If anyone in the Dallas area can recommend a 3rd builder, I would appreciate it. I am having trouble finding one I want to talk to because of bad reviews or BBB comments which is why I haven't talked to a 3rd already. Both companies I am dealing with now are smaller companies building 40-50 pools per year with long histories in the area.

6. Back To Top    #6

the retaining wall is one option. would it be possible to regrade the area and/or pool. you will be excavating a lot of soil, could the pool be raised the 18" and the back area/slope flat instead of breaking towards the pool. not sure pool elevation in relation to house though if its possible.

that said, I really like the look of the retaining wall. if you make the top wide enough it would be a great place for people to sit/lay
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

7. Back To Top    #7

Glad to recommend my neighbor of 8 years (just did math, make that 9 years!) and pool builder 3 years ago. They've been building pools in DFW for almost 30 years. My pool (see build link in sig) sticks out of the ground 18" or so.

http://www.reberandco.com/
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks!