Hard Plumbing my AGP - Need Some Confirmation Please..

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
I've decided to hard plumb my pool.. Just thinking it out before I do it.. I saw the big thread here and took a lot from it but his setup is different then mine..

Firs thing I'm thinking I need to replace all the fittings shown in the pictures here with 1.5" male adapter shown below..

430515.jpg

Once all those are replaced I am going to put a ball valve and a union right under the skimmer and then PVC to the front of my pump.. From the other port of my pump is going to be PVC to the sand filter.. From the sand filter is going to be PVC over to the return with a ball valve and union placed right at the return..

Does that all sound correct? Should there be any stop valves placed anywhere else while I am doing this?

Also, I am going to be adding a heater this year.. What should I do, if anything, in preparation for that being I am hard plumbing?

Thanks

That will cover it on valves. Ball valves aren't the best choice, they seize up and break. Jandy neverlube or equivalent are much better and not much more expensive. Pentair and others also make them.

One season on my old AG pool and my handles broke, had to use channel locks on it. When pool was gone I happily smashed the ball valves with a hammer. Never again. New IG only has Jandy valves. Worth the small (overall) price cost.

Wow! Really??? That sucks to hear.. Those Jandy's are expensive as ****.. $90 for two!

- - - Updated - - -

If I did go that route, or regardless, actually... How many shutoff valves should one have in their setups? Just (2)? One off the skimmer and one off the return?

I have a pump, sand filter, and gas heater..

Thanks

I'm in the process of hard plumbing my pool. It's a conventional metal wall pool and my filter and SWG are Intex. Besides me making up some adapters for Intex, our situations sound similar. On the line from my skimmer I used a ball valve like you have pictured above but I chose one with threads and used the adapters you have pictured in your first post to go to glued PVC from there. The reason for this is twofold. First of all if the valve does freeze up or break in some way, I can get it out without cutting pipe apart and secondly, it's too easy to get glue into the slip joint type ball valves and gum them up when you are installing them. The only thing I haven't put in that you are considering is unions. That's because, between the threaded fittings into the ball valve and the nuts on the Intex connections, I have several points where I can unscrew things. BTW a union is really not that hard to add if you miss putting one in in a critical spot and then later decide you need it.

Thanks PoolDV.. Those look much easier on the wallet..

Why do they say "1.5" X 2"" ? All the plumbing is going to be 1.5" so not sure what the 2" means..

Yes, that will work fine.

OK so I just need 2, that's good.. What about unions? Where would you place the unions so you can remove everything easily for storage?

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.