Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Return valves

I think i need new return eyeball valves (adjustable ball socket ones for top water movement). I have 3 and the ball socket thing inside can pop out and float away. Not sure if this is by design to swap them out. I also noticed that the closest one to the pump is the strongest. Do they make a replacement that can adjust the flow so the last one (farthest one) can be the strongest to push the debris to the skimmer?

I see they sell the whole assembly do these simply unscrew? how do I know which size to get or are they all the same size.

thanks!
    13000, AG, Plaster, Pentair equipment pump salt, automation, 3hp pump, 11 years old, TF-100 test kit, city water, pool cleaner vac, South Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return valves

The eyeball fittings screw into the wall fitting. They are normally 1½" threaded fittings.

You can get different sized eyeballs to go in the fittings, so you could put a smaller one on the strongest and larger one on the weakest to help regulate the flow.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

sunplay.com has all shapes, sizes and colors.

http://www.sunplay.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=eyeball
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    The eyeball fittings screw into the wall fitting. They are normally 1½" threaded fittings.

You can get different sized eyeballs to go in the fittings, so you could put a smaller one on the strongest and larger one on the weakest to help regulate the flow.

Wouldn't the smaller hole make it shoot stronger because the stream is smaller like a garden hose nozzle?
    13000, AG, Plaster, Pentair equipment pump salt, automation, 3hp pump, 11 years old, TF-100 test kit, city water, pool cleaner vac, South Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

It would add restriction which would make more water go toward the further jets than have less restriction. Your hose analogy does not work because there is only 1 outlet in that case. You would need to have a Y at the hose bib with both hoses running and then restrict the size on one of the hoses.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

What the smaller stream would do is restrict the volume of water allowed through the eyeball and therefore divert more water down the line to the other larger eyeballs.

While you might perceive more pressure out of the eyeball it's just because of the restricted opening.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    What the smaller stream would do is restrict the volume of water allowed through the eyeball and therefore divert more water down the line to the other larger eyeballs.

While you might perceive more pressure out of the eyeball it's just because of the restricted opening.

good points! thanks guys.

8. Back To Top    #8

Slit vs hole openings? any real difference?

anything good about this?

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Param...iJet-White.htm

9. Back To Top    #9

Slit shoots water out in a vertical or horizontal fan and round shoots it out in a jet. I would think the round would be better for general circulation an slit would be better for a specific application that requires more sweeping water flow. I have all round, except for a flat one on the sun shelf.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

having a hard time getting the old ones out. Is the thread backwards? ie not nut and bolt righty tighty?

11. Back To Top    #11

Should be standard threads
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I use a wash rag to get a better grip.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I use a wash rag to get a better grip.

Could they be glued? pool is like 10 years old. I tried to turn it with some channel locks and it sort of pulled out of the wall with the pvc still attached. It did not look like it was loosening at all.

14. Back To Top    #14

Well they could be glued, but no idea why anyone would do that.

Can you post a picture of what you are dealing with?
    You may need to hold the outside while trying to unscrew from the inside to avoid the entire thing twisting.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

turns out they are not threaded. They just pop off.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by chachdog View Post
    turns out they are not threaded. They just pop off.
    any idea where to buy these kind? they don't appear to be popular. should i add a threaded pipe to what is there without an eye installed to get a thread to use a threaded one or will it stick out too far?