New Owner Builder Pool/Spa in SoCal Wine Country UPDATED WITH PICS

Thanks, Kim! We were thinking about Red Sockeye quartzite for the coping to complement the pavers we already have on our patio (and that we're going to continue as decking around the pool). I know that flagstone and SWG aren't the best mix so I thought that going with a stronger flagstone like quartzite and then sealing it would prevent the problem with flaking...I hope. I haven't picked out a stone for the raised spa wall yet and would like some feedback regarding that: The outside of our house, as well as the pilasters near the pool, have stone on them already. I'm unsure of whether to use that same stone for the raised spa wall or pick a different type/shape, but one that's complementary to the existing stone? (Big sigh!) Cosmetic choices cause me more stress than anything else! For the tile line, I think I would prefer something that would blend in with the flagstone and spa stone (i.e. be similar in color and look like stone). I know some people use flagstone as their tile line, but I'm not sure how it would hold up and it seems like ceramic tile would be easier to clean. For the baja shelf my husband was thinking of using the quartzite than the Pebble Sheen because he thinks the lounge chairs would scratch/chip the plaster, but, again, I would think that having flagstone perpetually submerged would cause it to disintegrate right? :scratch: As far as plaster we were thinking of going with the Ocean Blue Pebble Sheen and abalone shells. If you haven't already guessed by looking at the pictures, I'm not much of a risk taker (or have much imagination) when it comes to colors so I welcome any insight/suggestions/comments! :)

Internet pic of the red sockeye:

Actual sample (setting against my existing stone and pavers):

Actual sample next to the pool:

Same stone/pavers near the pool:

Ocean Blue Pebble Sheen: (I snagged this pic off the internet. Incidentally, this person used Red Sockeye. You can really see the color of it on the bench in the pool.):

You are doing a great job! Too bad about the steel! OUCH in so many ways! Got to love the blame game :(

Thanks for sharing!

What color family are you thinking of going with? Blues, Greens, Browns? GOLD?? SO many to pick from!

Kim

Thanks so much for your input! I'd much rather have the overflow attached to the skimmer rather than have an opening just under the coping, which is where the plumbers were saying to put it. I just went outside and looked at the skimmers and...WOOHOO...the shotcrete guys left an opening for a pipe for the overflow so no chiseling for me!!! FYI, my husband had initially vetoed the overflow. Then, when I started the thread about our build on TFP back in May, so many of the TFP members recommended the overflow I was able to convince him. ;) We may be in a drought now in California, but if the el nino comes like predicted we're sure gonna need it!
Just an FYI some of the skimmers I have seen (including mine) have a place for attaching an overflow line. Yours appear to have that on the back near the top. All you would have to do for an overflow is punch out the plate inside that is sealing the hole and attach a PVC pipe from there to open air right above ground. You can still do this (you might have to chisel out some of the gunite on the back of your skimmer. Our PB is going to hook up our overflow in the same way and there is a notch in the gunite to allow for the pipe on the far side skimmer for this. Super easy and cheap and with some PVC cement, a couple elbows, about 5 feet of pipe, and about 20 minutes you could have an overflow.

Great catch ummgood. I had the same thing on mine. When they were done on Gunite day I went out 5 min after they left and dug them out. It was still soft, so very easy to do for me.

Thanks for the update dmalma, I had completely forgotten about this build. Your pool dimensions are very close to mine. Now that I've seen mine being built, I almost wish I had gone OB.

Pool looks amazing. Love your material selections and plaster color.

Thanks so much for your input, Kim. It's decided then! I'm going with those colors. Now I just have to decide on tile for the tile line, but hopefully that won't be too hard. (Famous last words :D)

You know what I am going to do for you????????? I am going to lock in on those colors! I LOVE them! They are purrrrrrrfect! Here is your lock. I will put the key up in a safe place just in case but.....................I may not be able to find it later! LOL

View attachment 40589

Kim

Hi, Spool. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply and to update my build. I work full-time, have a mother on hospice, am a DIY who is still finishing the build of my house and in my spare time trying to get this pool done. :) OB is not for the faint-hearted let me tell you. I just started a new thread about the 70+ cracks we have in the shotcrete and until they're fixed (if they can be fixed) we're in a holding pattern. I have to say the colors for your pool look AMAZING! You've chosen the most gorgeous tile I've ever seen!! I can't wait to see your pool with water in it! :)
Great catch ummgood. I had the same thing on mine. When they were done on Gunite day I went out 5 min after they left and dug them out. It was still soft, so very easy to do for me.

Thanks for the update dmalma, I had completely forgotten about this build. Your pool dimensions are very close to mine. Now that I've seen mine being built, I almost wish I had gone OB.

Pool looks amazing. Love your material selections and plaster color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.