Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Add-On Deck Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Add-On Deck Advice

I could use some suggestions. Once my pool is finished, I will have very little deck area, due to maxing out the CoA impervious coverage limit. What I want to do is build a larger deck out from the edge of the pool deck towards the back fence. I'm betting it will need to be a wood deck, since I can't do a concrete deck myself, and any reliable builder is going to want a CoA permit, which they won't grant.

Is it possible to do this on my own or do I just need to start selling blood to pay someone? I have to have a deck, not only for the extras space, but I need somewhere to mount the slide.

The deck would be built out from the tree side pool deck.

36 x 16 IG, SWG, FAFCO Solar Heating System, WetEdge Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure, 8.5' - 3.5' depth, 6' S.R. Smith Flyte-Deck II Dive Stand, Interfab X-Stream slide, 27k gallons, doggy tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers, 2.75 Hayward Tristar pump, Hayward 425 cart filter, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 light, Dolphin Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Add-On Deck Advice

Sure, you can build a deck with moderate DIY skills. I would look at a composite material. It will hold up much longer, reduce maintenance significantly and no splinters in bare feet. We built some deck with Choicedeck from Lowes. 18 mos in and we like it a lot.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you use any plans?
    36 x 16 IG, SWG, FAFCO Solar Heating System, WetEdge Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure, 8.5' - 3.5' depth, 6' S.R. Smith Flyte-Deck II Dive Stand, Interfab X-Stream slide, 27k gallons, doggy tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers, 2.75 Hayward Tristar pump, Hayward 425 cart filter, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 light, Dolphin Z5

4. Back To Top    #4

Building a small deck close to the ground is fairly easy, you just need the right tools. At a minimum this is a circular saw, and a drill, decking boards can either be nailed or screwed down, you will see advice for both, but if you plan to nail down this is a place where you will want a framing nail gun and an air compressor. Synthetic decking boards are nice, but cost about 4-6 times the price of wood, they however do hold up longer and are more maintenance free. Another thing you should be aware of is that most deck building how to's you find will describe the techniques needed to build a deck "up north" where the ground freeze and swells, so they tend to have substantial concrete footings, something likely not needed in Austin. As to how long this would take to build, all I can tell you is my wife and I build a small 8x8 ft wood deck / landing about 10 years ago over the course of 2 weekends (would have been 1 weekend except for weather delays). The deck we built is about 24-30 inches off the ground, and has a set of 2 steps on one side along with a hand rail, it is built table style sitting on thick concrete paver style blocks with 4x4 legs at each corner that are connected to the 2x8 framing with carriage bolts, the legs have X bracing also connected with carriage bolts and decking was nailed down with a framing nail gun (care was given to the grain of the boards to prevent cupping). Decking is pressure treated wood decking planks (1 5/8 x 5.5 I think, thinner than a 2x6), it gets pressured washed every year or two, and resealed about every 3 years, and is still holding up well with no sign of need for replacement.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

No, other than a sketch I made to create a materials list. I built my first deck a long time ago and have built quite a few since then. I prefer to use screws.

You could probably build your deck on deck blocks. I think Lowe's has a deck design tool.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_19070-1662-D...ductId=3613302

Once you get a little further along the process there are probably plenty of people here who can help with pointers and ideas.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the help guys. I had planned to use those deck blocks and coated outdoor screws. I'm pretty sure Home Depot will be cheaper than Lowes though.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, either way. Sometimes more sometimes less. I got a great deal on the Choicedek from Lowes.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Yeah, either way. Sometimes more sometimes less. I got a great deal on the Choicedek from Lowes.
    I'll check that out. Is it a Lowe's house brand?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tedujam View Post
    I'll check that out. Is it a Lowe's house brand?
    Yes, it is their house composite decking brand.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

FWIW, if it is just the CoA impervious surface limits you are up against, there are several options of permeable pavers and even permeable concrete that might be available in your area. Just like it sounds, the permeable pavers let the water permeate the block and therefore are usually exempted from those permits. Though it might be tough if your's is the first time with the CoA, but I do see options on their website for permeable concrete. I don't know the cost of the concrete, but pavers are comparable i think.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

It looks like the Choicedeck is much cheaper than Trex. It's usually the other way around for the HD house brands. Maybe I'll go grab some while they're on sale.

Beach House Gray Composite Decking (Common: 1-in x 5.5-in x 16-ft; Actual: 1-in x 5.4-in x 16-ft) for $28

http://www.lowes.com/pd_371963-46086...ng&state=R#img

12. Back To Top    #12

A word of caution for the deck fasteners. I have wood stairs that lead up to a slide and they get soaked. Between the salt and chlorine, I've gone through a set of galvanized nails, and two sets of deck screws on the stairs. I replaced the stairs just this winter and used 306 stainless screws, I'll see how well they hold up.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

I've had real good luck with these
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_323960-1278-..._dollar|1&pl=1

agree that galvanized are not that great. The newer pressure treating chemical is more corrosive than the old one.
    TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

I have adapted a set of plans from here for my small pool deck. I did add skirting under the new deck to finish it off.

The plans and material lists are free to download:

https://www.deckplans.com/side-pool-deck-plans

0828141737.jpg0828141718.jpg
    Mike F.

15' Above Ground Sharkline Matrix, Vinyl, 6,000 gal. Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter. TFT 50 Test Kit. Install 7/2014
    Raypack 150k BTU Natural Gas Heater installed 6-2016

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Our carpenter did our deck, the best composite wood available is one called moisture shield. Read up on it, nothing is even close.