Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water...tests look ok.

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water...tests look ok.

Hi all. Opened my pool in upstate NY a few weeks ago, to crystal clear but cold water. The weather has finally turned warmer here and I started to bump up my filter run time as the water warmed. It's over 65 degrees now, but the water is cloudy. I use the TFP method, and have for last 3 years. My tests are using a Taylor k 2006 kit.
    FC 7.0
    CC 0.0
    TA 100 (added baking soda as per pool math to bring it up)
    PH 7.6
    CH 100
    CYA 50
    I know the CH is low, but all other readings have been normal. Could the low CH cause cloudiness? I have added some calcium increaser, but maybe need more ( haven't tested level after adding). I have the 2 returns angled downwards, hoping to stir up the deep end. The water is clear til about 2-3 feet down where it appears cloudy.
    The weather has been cold and just warmed up, there FC was never low while the temp was over 55.
    Any ideas or suggestions? Should I SLAM just in case?
    Thanks!
    Rick
    Upstate/Central New York. Roman style IG fiberglass pool, 13X33, 8800 gallons, installed July 2012. Pentair cartridge filter, 1 hp Pentair single speed pump. Taylor K2006 Test kit. Went BBB route in spring of 2013, no problems, no regrets!!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water...tests look ok.

Yes, it seems like you should.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what pooldv says. If your water came into the pool clear and you have been running the pump, then it seems likely algae has gotten a grip somehow along the way. My guess is it will clear quickly during the SLAM procedure.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you all read up on the SLAM process? Here is the article describing the process. SLAMing Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I have read the process to SLAM, but this is the first time I have had to try it!
    Upstate/Central New York. Roman style IG fiberglass pool, 13X33, 8800 gallons, installed July 2012. Pentair cartridge filter, 1 hp Pentair single speed pump. Taylor K2006 Test kit. Went BBB route in spring of 2013, no problems, no regrets!!!!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The SLAM process seems a bit intimidating at first, but if you follow it exactly it works. It requires time and patience as it is not a overnight process.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

You'll likely need more FAS/DPD reagent to SLAM with that kit just FYI.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem