Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Test with TF100

1. Back To Top    #1

First Test with TF100

Pool builders opened the pool about 2 weeks ago. The winter cover was removed to reveal some pretty green and murky water. They added about 8-9 40lb bags of salt. I have been using test strips until the TF100 arrived. First time testing with TF100 revealed:
    FC: 10
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 70
    CH: 125
    CYA: <20
    Salt Test Strip: Not sure how to read. Red to orange line at 8.8; orange to yellow line 1.4

I have 2 3" stabilized chlorinating tablets dissolving in the skimmers (which are barely dissolving after 4 days) and have kept the pump running 24/7 since opening. Back washing and rinsing as needed. I know I need to add CYA but not sure if I should just buy concentrated CYA or use up the pucks. I hate to keep running the pump 24/7. The water has cleared considerably but still can't see the bottom in the 8' deep end. Not sure what to do with the salt, the salt water generator seems to be working fine and stopped telling us to add salt.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    IG 21,600 vinyl gal 38'x20' 3.5'/8', Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 filter, Pentair 1.5HP pump, Auto Pilot Salt Chlorine Generator RC 28. 2 LED lights, 2 bubblers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Test with TF100

Really need to add 30ppm of CYA in a sock and SLAM Your Pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Turn your SWG off and SLAM the pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

You are heading in the right direction-ordering a good test! NICE!

Until your test kit gets there add a gal. of bleach each night and keep your pump running to try to stay ahead of the green monster named algae.

As soon as your test kit gets there let us know and we can help with the SLAM

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

After you get SLAM started here is some reading in Pool School on how to take care of your pool.

TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Water Balance for SWCGs
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    PoolMath
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Starting SLAM tonight. Here are my numbers before adding 3 gallons of bleach.

FC: 3
    TA: 60
    CH: 100
    CYA: 30
    Salt: 1960
    Chlorine: 3
    CC: .5

About an hour after adding the bleach the FC was 15.

Here are a few pics right after adding the bleach. Any suggestions during this process would be appreciated.

IG 21,600 vinyl gal 38'x20' 3.5'/8', Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 filter, Pentair 1.5HP pump, Auto Pilot Salt Chlorine Generator RC 28. 2 LED lights, 2 bubblers.

7. Back To Top    #7

Good numbers for the start of a SLAM.

-Brush the pool to stir up the algae so the bleach can kill it and the filter get it out.
    -Test as often as you can
    -bring the FC up to SLAM level or just over after each test.
    -write down all of your tests so you can chart your FC usage.

You will not have to SLAM long as you caught it in time.

Have you taken the light out to clean inside of the niche? If not please do so.

Let me know if you have any questions I have not covered.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Your water looks clear and the numbers are good, though the FC is a little low. If you are not experiencing chlorine loss overnight your slam may not have been necessary and depending on your numbers this morning you can adjust the SWG to generate a little more CL, turn the SWG back on swim. (IMO)
    Mark
    IG plaster, 22,000 gallon, Jacuzzi Laser Sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra54 View Post
    Starting SLAM tonight. Here are my numbers before adding 3 gallons of bleach.

FC: 3
    TA: 60
    CH: 100
    CYA: 30
    Salt: 1960
    Chlorine: 3
    CC: .5

About an hour after adding the bleach the FC was 15.

Here are a few pics right after adding the bleach. Any suggestions during this process would be appreciated.
    First, welcome to TFP.

A very important thing to make sure of, is doing your absolute best not to let the FC slip below SLAM level any more than you can help. The better you do at that, the faster this will go. Looking good to start, just keep that FC up to, or just a touch over SLAM value as you are there with 15 PPM FC.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome and +1 on what Patrick said. I just wanted to chime in that you've built a gorgeous pool! Kudos
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains