Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor start switch

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor start switch

I'm thinking my start switch is stuck open. Motor hums when starting, but I can spin assist with start. Aqua-flo flow master xp2. Anyone have experience with this motor or know a good website to get information?
    34x18 doughboy (desert springs) above ground. Has deep end, but don't know depth yet. Pool came with house (first season). 22in sand filter (250lbs sand)with 1.5hp two speed pump. Pentair MiniMax ch 200m heater.
    440 gallon Emerald spa. Currently a 3.6hp, 2 speed, 46y, 240volts motor. Changing to a 3hp, 2 speed, 56y, 240volt motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor start switch

Since you can spin it manually and the motor will start...it is probably just a bad capacitor. It is located under the cover (the hump) on top of the motor. You should try to replace it with the identically rated and/or same part number.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

3. Back To Top    #3

I have two capacitors and have replaced both of them.
    34x18 doughboy (desert springs) above ground. Has deep end, but don't know depth yet. Pool came with house (first season). 22in sand filter (250lbs sand)with 1.5hp two speed pump. Pentair MiniMax ch 200m heater.
    440 gallon Emerald spa. Currently a 3.6hp, 2 speed, 46y, 240volts motor. Changing to a 3hp, 2 speed, 56y, 240volt motor.

4. Back To Top    #4

I had the exact same issue with both of my pumps yesterday. Replaced both capacitors and it still did nothing. I took motors fully apart yesterday, cleaned all wire connections as well as ensured the start switch at the back of the motor was working properly... put everything back together and they work like a charm now... the magnetic rotating centrifugal switch sits on the shaft on the inside of the bearing in the rear, make sure that's moving back and forth and engaging the start switch, this is what mine looked like ( http://www.spaparts.com.au/products/...52d-2-spd.html ) i greased the shaft where the switch sits so it moves very easily now.

5. Back To Top    #5

http://

This part is missing a small wheel on one end of the wish bone. At the top center of wish bone, their are two contact on the under side. One of those appear to be "burnt out". Suppose this might be the problem.