Opening the swamp 2015

Sep 11, 2013
Joplin, MO
First year leaving the pool up through the winter. The cover was a major fail, it ended up not being on most of the winter. So now I have a nice pretty swamp.

Here's the first peek at it! (it was night excuse the crappy photo)
IMG_4102.jpeg

I'm hoping this means that someone else got the TFPC memo? Had to laugh when I saw it! (And hope they didn't buy the scented bleach!)
IMG_7209.jpeg

Testing the waters... literally.
IMG_0863.jpg

Opening numbers:

FC/CC - 0/0
PH 8.2 +
TA 110
CH 160
CYA 0

Added CYA to bring it up to 30, Enough dry acid to burn something alive. (I measured it 8oz by volume at a time) I finally got the PH down to 7.5, added enough to bring it down a little more, and added enough bleach to get me to 10.

30 minutes later its at 6.5. Brought it back up to 12 this time. We shall see! I'll post some photos in the morning!

-Paige

Yes, I joked all last year that I was going to not add anything just to have something to do. I never would have let it get like this though. SLAMing in progress. Attempted to vacuum tonight and kept loosing prime of the pump, I finally gave up. Blind scooping with the leaf net didn't pull up much. I hope thats a good sign! I'll attempt vacuuming in the daylight tomorrow and see how it goes. All else fails I'll use the hose/bag vacuum for a few times to at least get it cleaned some more.

Yes, that is a good sign. Less junk in the pool means the slam will go faster. Keep an eye on you filter pressure and backwash when it rises 25% from clean pressure.

MickeyB23 I thought it was to funny! I think I might have over bought at the moment!

Chlorine hasn't dropped below 11 so far today. I've been checking ever 2 hours, shooting high on the bleach side of things. It hasn't dropped much at all this evening. Starting to wonder what I'm doing wrong! I went almost 2 hours with no chlorine loss at all? I tested at 7:30 and it was 13.5/1.5 (30 minutes after I had added) and just tested again at 930 and got the same results? I haven't added anything during those two hours.

I've also been having to backwash a lot to keep the water pressure up on the pump. Is that normal at this point ?
This makes it look worse, but I think it's just because it was darker outside. It's actually a lighter color, but a lot more cloudy.

IMG_0899.jpg

The other task I finished today, putting a magnetic screen thing on the back door! No more flies, or mosquito's!
IMG_0900.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Backwash/clean your filter when you get a 20-25% rise in pressure. A dirty filter cleans and catches a whole lot better than a clean one, especially a sand filter.

So checked all the hoses over, put lube on the gaskets, cleaned the plastic filter thing on the inside of the 5 way valve, (it was terrible!) put lube on all the seals. We left for a few hours for dinner and the basket by the pump was half full of air when we came home again! UGH All I can figure is its the B adapters and I've already ordered the stuff to ditch them. It'll be here Tuesday.

This thing was full of little seed things. No idea how they got around the basket, but apparently they did.

IMG_0906.jpg

Tested 4 times today and it wasn't below slam except for this morning when I got up, which I expected. It seems to be less green, and more cloudy this evening.

12:30
FC 4 CC 1

3:30PM
FC 10 CC 1

5:30PM
FC 11 CC 1.5

11:20PM
FC 11

IMG_0907.jpg

Last edited:
So, the weekend didn't go as planned. The pump basket is still getting air in it. I've tried everything I can think of at this point. Just trying to wait it out until the new parts get here. Saturday & Sunday I didn't get to run the pump constantly because I couldn't watch it. I didn't want to chance anything happening. I'd bring it to slam and then let it run for an hour or two and shut it off. Figured out on Sunday if it put the pump on recirculate vs filter it seems to get less air. I've been running it that way since.

The pump filter will be completely full of water and this is after about 30 minutes of running. It'll end up being about an inch down in an hour or two.

IMG_4311.jpeg

This is from before the 'off time.' I actually felt like I was making good headway.

IMG_4303.jpeg

And then here is today. I think I lost a little ground over the weekend. New parts will be here tomorrow and hopefully fix the air leak. I've been bringing FC up to 14.

Current test results:
FC 8
CC 3

IMG_0988.jpg

Seem to be making some headway again. I switched to filter this afternoon/evening while we were home. Pressure went CRAZY on the pump. Pretty sure I wasn't back washing correctly. I was annoyed and reading on here. Followed all the directions on back washing and repeating...wow some gross gunk came out of that thing! Pretty sure it's never really been done correctly. Ran it all evening on filter, the pressure had went up a tiny bit. I went ahead and switched it back to recirculate tonight just in case.

I've been shooting for 14. At this point I seem to be loosing about 2ppm an hour. I can see my hand about a foot down in the water!!! Much more than the few inches a couple days ago.

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.