Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening the swamp 2015

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening the swamp 2015

First year leaving the pool up through the winter. The cover was a major fail, it ended up not being on most of the winter. So now I have a nice pretty swamp.

Here's the first peek at it! (it was night excuse the crappy photo)

I'm hoping this means that someone else got the TFPC memo? Had to laugh when I saw it! (And hope they didn't buy the scented bleach!)

Testing the waters... literally.

Opening numbers:

FC/CC - 0/0
    PH 8.2 +
    TA 110
    CH 160
    CYA 0

Added CYA to bring it up to 30, Enough dry acid to burn something alive. (I measured it 8oz by volume at a time) I finally got the PH down to 7.5, added enough to bring it down a little more, and added enough bleach to get me to 10.

30 minutes later its at 6.5. Brought it back up to 12 this time. We shall see! I'll post some photos in the morning!

-Paige
    Pool Owner since 2013 . 15'x48" AG Intex Metal Frame . 4500 Gallons . Intex 2100 GPH Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening the swamp 2015

Numbers are looking good. Good job working that! You ready to SLAM Your Pool?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I joked all last year that I was going to not add anything just to have something to do. I never would have let it get like this though. SLAMing in progress. Attempted to vacuum tonight and kept loosing prime of the pump, I finally gave up. Blind scooping with the leaf net didn't pull up much. I hope thats a good sign! I'll attempt vacuuming in the daylight tomorrow and see how it goes. All else fails I'll use the hose/bag vacuum for a few times to at least get it cleaned some more.
    Pool Owner since 2013 . 15'x48" AG Intex Metal Frame . 4500 Gallons . Intex 2100 GPH Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Good luck!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, that is a good sign. Less junk in the pool means the slam will go faster. Keep an eye on you filter pressure and backwash when it rises 25% from clean pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's some shots from today! Woke up with FC at 0, figured that would happen.

Today's plans are pretty much baby sit the pool!

Here's a few photos from this afternoon. ( I added a couple to the first post too!)

7. Back To Top    #7

More bleach!!!
    In Ground 35k Gallon
    36 Sq Ft Nautilus NS DE Filter
    Location Pittsburgh PA
    Aquabot Turbo T2 Cleaner
    Vinyl Liner (new in 2016)

8. Back To Top    #8

That bleach picture is the best! I've cleared the shelf at our local store a few times! Too funny!
    1978 Sylvan IG Gunite pool (around 18,000 gallon)
    Hayward Vari-Flo DE Filter and 3/4 HP Super Pump - installed in 1991
    TF-100XL with speed stir Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner (2015)

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I have the same pool as you. There is a link to my SLAM in my signature if you want to look at it. Keep your FC at or slightly above shock level as much as possible.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

MickeyB23 I thought it was to funny! I think I might have over bought at the moment!

Chlorine hasn't dropped below 11 so far today. I've been checking ever 2 hours, shooting high on the bleach side of things. It hasn't dropped much at all this evening. Starting to wonder what I'm doing wrong! I went almost 2 hours with no chlorine loss at all? I tested at 7:30 and it was 13.5/1.5 (30 minutes after I had added) and just tested again at 930 and got the same results? I haven't added anything during those two hours.

I've also been having to backwash a lot to keep the water pressure up on the pump. Is that normal at this point ?
    This makes it look worse, but I think it's just because it was darker outside. It's actually a lighter color, but a lot more cloudy.

The other task I finished today, putting a magnetic screen thing on the back door! No more flies, or mosquito's!

11. Back To Top    #11

Backwash/clean your filter when you get a 20-25% rise in pressure. A dirty filter cleans and catches a whole lot better than a clean one, especially a sand filter.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't want to keep back washing, but I have very very little water coming out of the return if I didn't Checking the hoses and everything today.

13. Back To Top    #13

So checked all the hoses over, put lube on the gaskets, cleaned the plastic filter thing on the inside of the 5 way valve, (it was terrible!) put lube on all the seals. We left for a few hours for dinner and the basket by the pump was half full of air when we came home again! UGH All I can figure is its the B adapters and I've already ordered the stuff to ditch them. It'll be here Tuesday.

This thing was full of little seed things. No idea how they got around the basket, but apparently they did.

Tested 4 times today and it wasn't below slam except for this morning when I got up, which I expected. It seems to be less green, and more cloudy this evening.

12:30
    FC 4 CC 1

3:30PM
    FC 10 CC 1

5:30PM
    FC 11 CC 1.5

11:20PM
    FC 11

Last edited by paigenicole0289; 05-11-2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: post is showing twice :-/

14. Back To Top    #14

So, the weekend didn't go as planned. The pump basket is still getting air in it. I've tried everything I can think of at this point. Just trying to wait it out until the new parts get here. Saturday & Sunday I didn't get to run the pump constantly because I couldn't watch it. I didn't want to chance anything happening. I'd bring it to slam and then let it run for an hour or two and shut it off. Figured out on Sunday if it put the pump on recirculate vs filter it seems to get less air. I've been running it that way since.

The pump filter will be completely full of water and this is after about 30 minutes of running. It'll end up being about an inch down in an hour or two.

This is from before the 'off time.' I actually felt like I was making good headway.

And then here is today. I think I lost a little ground over the weekend. New parts will be here tomorrow and hopefully fix the air leak. I've been bringing FC up to 14.

Current test results:
    FC 8
    CC 3

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I hope the new parts help you. You were making great progress.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

16. Back To Top    #16

It's sooooooooo annoying! At this point I'm keeping it on recirculate to at least attempt to keep killing stuff. I know it won't filter, but at least I'm not loosing ground.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Yes at least you have the water moving.
    Lisa

18. Back To Top    #18

Seem to be making some headway again. I switched to filter this afternoon/evening while we were home. Pressure went CRAZY on the pump. Pretty sure I wasn't back washing correctly. I was annoyed and reading on here. Followed all the directions on back washing and repeating...wow some gross gunk came out of that thing! Pretty sure it's never really been done correctly. Ran it all evening on filter, the pressure had went up a tiny bit. I went ahead and switched it back to recirculate tonight just in case.

I've been shooting for 14. At this point I seem to be loosing about 2ppm an hour. I can see my hand about a foot down in the water!!! Much more than the few inches a couple days ago.

19. Back To Top    #19

Is it normal to have to backwash every day during a slam?

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes, you are filtering out lots of dead algae. Backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. However often that is.
    TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast