How soon can I use my SWG after adding CYA?

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
I am on my second "sock in the skimmer" of CYA, so I've added about 3 lbs total. I started with 0 CYA so I have a while to go to get my CYA to the recommended level of 70-80.

I currently have no chlorine in the water. Can I add liquid bleach now with the CYA sock in the skimmer basket? If not how long do I wait? Or, when will I be able to turn on my SWG? Pump and filter are running and water is clear.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

PoolMath says to add 224 ounces of CYA (measured by weight) to get to a level of 70. So, when I add chlorine tomorrow evening I will assume all 48 ounces has been dissolved, which would be 21.4% of my total CYA added. 21.4% of 70 would be 14.98% of assumed CYA floating...is this a correct way to calculate?

If only 1.5 pounds is in the water chlorinate based on that. When you put the other 1.5 pounds in adjust accordingly. Chlorinate based on what is in the water, not where you plan to get to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.