New to the pool lifestyle

Apr 28, 2015
sunbury PA
Hi everyone! Two weeks ago my wife and I had an inground pool installed and we're both going through the learning process right now. Everything seems to be fairly easy...so far.
A question I have for the experts is, we have a CMP Power Clean Ultra chlorine setup. I originally filled it with about 10 3" chlorine tablets. Is it supposed to be filled with water?
is it only filled when the pump is running? Also, it says to shut it off by the control valve. Where is the control valve? Is that the little knob where you adjust the chlorine level from
0 to 1.5? Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome to the forum. The first 'expert" piece of advise we have to offer you is to not get addicted to those tabs on a regular basis. They contain cya--every last one of them! A browse through Pool School will educate you to the prolonged downside of using those. Got one of our recommended test kits?

Welcome to TFP!

I agree with woody, don't use the tablets (trichlor) as your sole source of chlorine. They are useful in some circumstances like establishing both chlorine and cyanuric acid (CYA) on a newly filled pool, and vacation when your away from the pool. They are convenient, but using too many of them will cause problems down the road.

It sounds like you have an inline chlorinator. I have limited knowledge on them, but as far as I know, water flows through it when the pump is on. The control valve should be the one you can adjust, and it should allow you to set how much water flows through the chlorinator and how much chlorine goes into the pool. Turning it all the way to zero should cut off the flow in it. You may also have a regular valve upstream of the clorinator. Post pictures of your setup and we can help figure out what you are working with. One last warning, don't stand too close to that chlorinator when you open the lid, you'll get a faceful of fumes if you do. And don't ever put any other type of chlorine in it. The different forms of chlorine don't play nice when mixed together in the same container.