Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to the pool lifestyle

1. Back To Top    #1

sunbury PA

New to the pool lifestyle

Hi everyone! Two weeks ago my wife and I had an inground pool installed and we're both going through the learning process right now. Everything seems to be fairly far.
    A question I have for the experts is, we have a CMP Power Clean Ultra chlorine setup. I originally filled it with about 10 3" chlorine tablets. Is it supposed to be filled with water?
    is it only filled when the pump is running? Also, it says to shut it off by the control valve. Where is the control valve? Is that the little knob where you adjust the chlorine level from
    0 to 1.5? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: New to the pool lifestyle

Welcome to the forum. The first 'expert" piece of advise we have to offer you is to not get addicted to those tabs on a regular basis. They contain cya--every last one of them! A browse through Pool School will educate you to the prolonged downside of using those. Got one of our recommended test kits?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    League City, TX

Welcome to TFP!

I agree with woody, don't use the tablets (trichlor) as your sole source of chlorine. They are useful in some circumstances like establishing both chlorine and cyanuric acid (CYA) on a newly filled pool, and vacation when your away from the pool. They are convenient, but using too many of them will cause problems down the road.

It sounds like you have an inline chlorinator. I have limited knowledge on them, but as far as I know, water flows through it when the pump is on. The control valve should be the one you can adjust, and it should allow you to set how much water flows through the chlorinator and how much chlorine goes into the pool. Turning it all the way to zero should cut off the flow in it. You may also have a regular valve upstream of the clorinator. Post pictures of your setup and we can help figure out what you are working with. One last warning, don't stand too close to that chlorinator when you open the lid, you'll get a faceful of fumes if you do. And don't ever put any other type of chlorine in it. The different forms of chlorine don't play nice when mixed together in the same container.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    Columbia, SC

Yup, don't get addicted to the tabs.....

Check out How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome to TFP!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW PA

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to the forum! Dittos to what others have said about not using the tabs on a regular basis.

A great overview article about managing your pool is the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.