New build in Prosper Tx just got pool bid

bimori

May 5, 2015
prosper, tx
Hi all,

i'm new on the forum. I'm in the process of building a house and decided to add a pool. What do you guys think from a price perspective

thoughts??

$73,000
Build during construction
Pool & Spa Combo with fire pit
tanning ledge on both side (6ft of water)
867sq ft decking (concrete pavers)
511 sq ft
96' Perimeter
35'6" x 17'6" - 4ft to 5ft to 4ft
Jandy E Pump
Jandy high flow DE filter
4 Led : 1 for spa 3 for pool
Rainbow in-line chlorinator
Jandy JXI 400K BTU heater
polaris 1.5hp blower
polaris 280 pool sweep with 0.75 booster pump
Jandy RS-PDA4 +iAqualink remote

Attachments

• pool 1.jpg
    pool 1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 416
Oh wow! That's dreamy - house and pool. If I knew you better, I'd say, "Have you lost your ever lovin' mind?" But I don't know you that well, so instead, I will say: Hats off to you for taking on two builds at once! The last house we built was 26 years ago, and we're just now building our first (and last) pool. Each one had such a steep learning curve for me. There's no way I could have kept my sanity doing two builds at once. But I've seen people on the forums who do it, and seem to actually be energized from doing both. Don't misunderstand, I'm not knocking it by any means. I'm just in awe!

I'm a newbie and live in the Houston area, so it's hard for me to address the bid. For around here, it seems high, but also, you didn't mention the decking materials which can make a significant difference in cost. From reading the forums, you're going to have a very well-lighted pool. That may be a goal, just make sure none of the lights are shining towards the back of your house. Your decking square footage is about the same as ours, which isn't huge. Yet, the layout in your plan looks good - room for many lounge chairs. You may want to use some yarn, rope, hose, extension chords, or something and map out the pool and deck in your yard. Do you have a bench at the far end maybe on the left or right? I know it's not a deep end, but it might be nice to have a place to sit and visit at that end.

Thank you for sharing your exciting plans with us! Aren't you going to love all those windows on the back looking out at your beautiful pool?!!! Take care! Suz.
The experts will have to comment on the equipment. We're also using Jandy, so here's hoping it's great!

Oh wow! That's dreamy - house and pool. If I knew you better, I'd say, "Have you lost your ever lovin' mind?" But I don't know you that well, so instead, I will say: Hats off to you for taking on two builds at once! The last house we built was 26 years ago, and we're just now building our first (and last) pool. Each one had such a steep learning curve for me. There's no way I could have kept my sanity doing two builds at once. But I've seen people on the forums who do it, and seem to actually be energized from doing both. Don't misunderstand, I'm not knocking it by any means. I'm just in awe!

I'm a newbie and live in the Houston area, so it's hard for me to address the bid. For around here, it seems high, but also, you didn't mention the decking materials which can make a significant difference in cost. From reading the forums, you're going to have a very well-lighted pool. That may be a goal, just make sure none of the lights are shining towards the back of your house. Your decking square footage is about the same as ours, which isn't huge. Yet, the layout in your plan looks good - room for many lounge chairs. You may want to use some yarn, rope, hose, extension chords, or something and map out the pool and deck in your yard. Do you have a bench at the far end maybe on the left or right? I know it's not a deep end, but it might be nice to have a place to sit and visit at that end.

Thank you for sharing your exciting plans with us! Aren't you going to love all those windows on the back looking out at your beautiful pool?!!! Take care! Suz.
The experts will have to comment on the equipment. We're also using Jandy, so here's hoping it's great!

Haha, thanks for the compliment. i'm used to the building a house part. Last house we built was in 2012. So that part doen't really stress me. The pool is a first though. I think its better to get everything in at once. Yes, I would have a bench on the other end. I'm a newbie to the pool aspect. So hoping the experts would chime in.

I think I've read posts with the builder named. I don't recall reading any named where the situation is negative.

You can private message (PM) a person to give information or to ask for information. They reply through the private message system.

To PM a person, click on their user name, and you will see the option to send a private message. They will receive an email stating they have a PM to view. Neither party ever sees the other's private email address unless you personally give it.

My apologies if you already know how to do this. Take care! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That all looks good. We love our 4x5x4 play pool. Lots of room to spread out, play and hang out. Price looks pretty good too.

Personally, I would dump the chlorinator and go saltwater. More here on How to Chlorinate Your Pool

More info on updating your signature here.

Unfavorable comments about named PBs or contractors are not permitted. If you are happy with a contractor, PB, local store, local maintenance company then feel free to pass that along. We cannot have wars going here between builders and customers.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new house and pool! I'm a get it all over with at once guy. Then you're done!

Hi Bimori. Great looking pool! I'll offer my $.02 since you've asked.

- On the price, I think $73k for that pool seems steep. However, keep in mind that pricing can vary heavily based on location and I seem to recall Prosper being up in Oklahoma ;) - I don't know how many builders get that far north of DFW. And, you are looking at peak season coming on for PB's, so they are likely pricing premiums right now... (I.e. - If I can only build 5 pools at a time and I have 3 lined up with a dozen in my pipeline, my next 2 are going to be money makers.
- Many on here LOVE salt. If you aren't going with stone coping/tile - it might be worth considering.
- You have too many lights. I can't imagine needing more than 2 for a rectangle pool that size. Obviously, the spa needs it's own.
- If you are going to treat your own pool (as many do on here), you don't want to Rainbow 320.
- I'd delete the cleaner and go with a robot. They clean much better and are far more energy efficient. And it is likely break even on equipment after you delete the Polaris and booster pump (with needs both plumbing and electric).

I'll put it this way, if you built that pool on your own (which is a LOT of work), you're likely spending about $45k on that build unless you decide to get $20k in tile. And that $45k is with good equipment, pebble, etc.

My price suggestion was based on OB pricing. PB pricing is generally reasonably higher. An OB could build that pool for $45-50k. My pool is larger with the same decking size and I'm shooting for $50k. I have a large spa, lots of water features, etc. I can tell you in a few weeks where I landed, but I'm pretty far through already with lots of quotes. I had my pool quoted multiple times in the $70s by PBs.

Very nice looking pool. Being a play pool, I can see having 3 lights. Looks like one for the 5 ft section in the middle and one in each 4 ft end. For everything you are getting the price is pretty good.

My price suggestion was based on OB pricing. PB pricing is generally reasonably higher. An OB could build that pool for $45-50k. My pool is larger with the same decking size and I'm shooting for $50k. I have a large spa, lots of water features, etc. I can tell you in a few weeks where I landed, but I'm pretty far through already with lots of quotes. I had my pool quoted multiple times in the $70s by PBs.

Dumb question, what is an OB?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.