Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWCG Increase Calcium in Water?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWCG Increase Calcium in Water?

New pool (shown in the Under Construction section). Looking for a pool service as we will be gone quite a bit over the summer. The service person and I were discussing what was needed with a SWG pool and he made a long statement how several states (California, Florida, etc) had tested SWG and shown that they increase the calcium in the water. I cannot figure the chemistry in that. Now our area has high CH source water (250) so it will increase over time in the pool with evaporation thus leading to a drain and fill every year or so. But the SWG adding calcium? Any thoughts?

He also stated that we had to monitor phosphates in this area due to bird fecal matter causing yellow algae. Said they use Sodium Bromide as the chlorine does not kill it. Another one I cannot resolve --

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa
    Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflow 3050VS Pump and Pentair HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!
    Marty

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWCG Increase Calcium in Water?

I think you found one guy to NOT hire
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Tough part is another one I talked to was worse. Said no need to do any water testing. Just add what they always add!! Yikes!!
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa
    Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflow 3050VS Pump and Pentair HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!
    Marty

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh my! As far as I know salt water does not magically convert to calcium. It will raise the total dissolved solids reading but that is not generally something you need to worry about.

For the second question, as long as you maintain adequate chlorine levels the phosphate level does not matter. I can only imagine how many birds have to be pooping in your pool to create that yellow algae! As far as I can tell, this guy's advice is for the birds!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I would ignore the advice from that "service" person. SWGs don't add or raise calcium. Ask for copies of any state's studies that make such a claim. He won't be able to produce them.
    Sodium bromide should not be added. Phosphates can be ignored.

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't fall for the phosphate story. I learned the hard way by listening to a pool store guy before I found TFP. Yes phosphates are food for algae, but if you're keeping your chlorine level where it needs to be, and killing the algae, then there is nothing to feed on the phosphates. Don't waste your money on phosphate remover, spend it on a good adult beverage by your sparkling clear pool.
    IG built in 2005, Vinyl, 18 x 39, 26,000 gallons, SWG Aqua T-Cell 15, timer is on for 12 hours (8 hours of sun day), Hayward Pro-Series sand filter, TF100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

It never ceases to amaze me what some "pros" will say. These displays of complete ignorance of the chemistry is mind boggling. They should know such rudimentary things. Unreal...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem