TFPC newb in phoenix

bper

May 2, 2015
Phx, AZ
I've owned the pool for 5 years and got sick of buying things at the pool store that I don't need while continuing to have algae and calcium issues. I have kids now ready to use the pool and knew there had to be a better way! I have come across this site a couple times in the past, but am ready to really get a handle on the water chemistry and get this pool sparkling. Just received my K2006 and will begin Saturday morning most likely. To start I thought I had pollen the last couple weeks but after further reading I'm thinking it's mustard algae (mostly on the shady sides, and on steps / sides of the pool as well as all over my vac and hoses). Plan on SLAMing and converting to bleach for my Cl. In the past I've had pucks in a floater and shocked with trichlor every week or two. Just did a pH test only as I read through how to use my test kit and it was 7.9-8.0. Need to bring that down to 7.2 before I SLAM.

Thanks already for all the intro reading, pool school, etc. Hopefully I can contribute soon.

Sounds like you've been reading.

Welcome to TFP

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Check your CYA ... sounds like it could be VERY high which will require water replacement before anything else.

Thanks, CYA tests to be well over 100. Going to rent or get a harbor feight sump and remove about 65% of the water this afternoon. Fill water will be hard city water, I may need to treat for metals?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test results this morning:
Temp 72F
FC 0
pH 8.0
TA 190
CH 690
CYA Well over 100

Took a sample to pool store
TC 0
FC 0
pH 7.7
TA 165
CH 700
CYA 115
TDS 2100
Langelier 0.43

Looks like I will re-read and replace the water rather than slam this weekend

High CYA, TDS Drain and Re-fill

K2006:
Temp 72F
FC 0
pH 8.0
TA 190
CH Over 500 (little change @ 50 drops)
CYA Well over 100 (no dot @ ~1.8 mark)

Pool store test:
TC 0
FC 0
pH 7.7
TA 165
CH 700
CYA 115
TDS 2100
Langelier 0.43

For a little test kit practice and curiosity I took a look at my tap (fill) water:

pH 7.9-8.0
TA 140
CH 220

I got a HF pump and plan on draining 60-100% (Pool math says 57% for CYA, 92% for CH) but could use a little guidance. With what I assume to be mustard algae in the pool should I 1) plan on acid washing at all while lowering or just refill and SLAM? 2) I also thought maybe some bleach in a spray bottle may help to brush some of the returns and lights while the level is lowered? I considered filling while draining but will likely do them separately. Any other considerations or ideas for water replacement?

I would drain, refill and SLAM. Pay attention to the mustard directions in the SLAM article. Any extra help you want to give areas with extra brushing and cleaning can't hurt. While,I wasn't in a SLAM I pulled my light out of th niche and used the vacuum hose (it was underwater) to suck out a lot of junk form the niche. You could pull the light, clean the niche and let,the water circulate in there for a while to make sure.

Ignore the pool store testing, especially the comments about TDS.

Once you get your CYA in range of 50ppm and you start to SLAM the pool, brushing is very important as It will knock the protective biofilm off the algae and the chlorine will attack It much harder and faster than not brushing. Its a lot of work but it's necessary.

Thanks for the tip, I don't mind brushing and was doing a lot of it over the last month while I thought it was pollen rather than algae. I was suspicious though when it reappeared soon after :eek:

I have it about 75% drained and will re-fill overnight & will test in the morning or when it's full. Should I tackle the waterline calcium now or later?

Added 1/2 gal acid and 2 lb cya in the skimmer. For my cya poolmath I just used 30 targeting 50 as it was recommended to shoot low. Should I start running the filter 24/7? Plan on running it at least overnight to see how the cya dissolves.

Added 1/2 gal acid and 2 lb cya in the skimmer. For my cya poolmath I just used 30 targeting 50 as it was recommended to shoot low. Should I start running the filter 24/7? Plan on running it at least overnight to see how the cya dissolves.
Is the CYA in a sock, or just in the skimmer? Shooting a little low when adding CYA is a good idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support