Managing high ground water

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I’m trying to figure out a plan of action before we install another liner to our 100,000 liter sports pool next year.

We CONSTANTLY have issues with high ground water so we are pumping out that water every spring ( a lot of it) and of and on all swimming season.
We pump it out now by removing a small section of the liner and putting in a 2 inch hose attached to a 2 hp pump. (And yes, we watch it every second to be sure we don’t tear the liner)
Because the pool builders did not install any kind of weeping tile or dry well/sump system AND the pool is situated in probably the lowest point in the whole property I don’t see this problem ever going away.

Needless to say this has shortened the life of the liner because it stretches and creates wrinkles which eventually lead to holes. The vermiculite/concrete base washes away more and more each year, which creates other issues as well.

We have already had to cut holes in the fiberglass stairs and repacked with sand because it had washed away and I can see that being an issue again.

I've included some pics so you can see the lay out of the land around the pool.

So any suggestions/plans of action would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150505_200103_resized_1.jpg
    20150505_200103_resized_1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 86
  • 20150505_200145_resized_1.jpg
    20150505_200145_resized_1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20150505_200234_resized_1.jpg
    20150505_200234_resized_1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 85
This is just my non-professional opinion, but I'd get someone in there with a trackhoe and trench between that road and the pool to install a french drain.

That kind of looks like my back yard, we are the low point in the neighborhood and in a good rain I have a river running next to my pool. I give the builder and previous owner of the house credit, the terrain was sculpted to move the water away from the house and poo and into a 24" culvert he installed running all the way to the street. Now, the concrete contractor they used sucked. The patio does drain to the side, unfortunately it's the side the pool is on......

There is a fix but it won't be cheap.

Next time you replace the liner, bury a French drain in the vermiculite bottom.

At the lowest point, you will need to penetrate the pool to connect that French drain with a well point.

The well point will need a submersible pump that will automatically remove the water that has collected down through the French Drain.

That water then needs to be pushed by the pump somewhere where it won't return to that low area......further away is better.

My WILD guess would be maybe $10k

Between the road and the pool, 1st pic, we also have power lines coming in near the building. You can actually see where they were redone last year. (Dirt by building). We had a total failure of the underground lines....not good.
The other side slopes away into a small ravine, and no conflicts with power or other service lines, so we thought possibly on that side would work for a well point and drain/ sump.
I have read about French drains (similar to weeping tiles?) and if I am imagining this right... We would install a french drain in the deepest point of the pool, which would be right in the middle because it's a sports pool. The only issue there is that is also where the main drain is as well.
But, if most pool plumbing layouts are similar, then we should be able to install on the far side of the drain, directional drill out to the side of the pool, install a well point with a sump pump and directional drill a drain line to the ravine.
Does that make sense or am I way out?
I just shake my head every time I have to pump water out because high ground water is the norm here, why the pool builder did not put in something to drain it away is a mystery to me.
Thanks for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.