Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Test Results :) What next?

1. Back To Top    #1

First Test Results :) What next?

I used the TF-100 test kit as suggested to me. I have been adding bleach to my pool daily as suggested, until I received my test kit which I received today. Please let me know where I am supposed to go from here.

FC: 7.5
    CC: .5
    T/A: 150
    CH: 675
    CYA: 85
    Around 21,500 gallon pool., In Ground (Plaster), (not sure of filter, I will confirm this Saturday), Date of pool (not sure of date, house is 1956)
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First Test Results :) What next?

You will need to know your pool gallons before you can know what to do. What is your PH?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

According to pool calculator about 21,500 gallons. PH seems to be 8.2

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    You will need to know your pool gallons before you can know what to do. What is your PH?
    Around 21,500 gallon pool., In Ground (Plaster), (not sure of filter, I will confirm this Saturday), Date of pool (not sure of date, house is 1956)
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How does the water look?

Certainly need to lower the pH.
    The CYA is a little high, but manageable ... you need to keep your FC above 7ppm at all times. See: FC/CYA Chart
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The water looks clear. How do I lower the PH?
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, time to step back

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I have read all that. I just put my test results in the calculator. Apparently I need to add 399 oz of 20 degree muriatic acid.

It also says that I should empty out half my pool to get the CYA down?

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Ok, time to step back

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

PoolMath only does calculations. It does not tell you what to do. That is up to you to decide (with our help for now of course )

That result is not correct. Check the volume you have entered and make sure the TA is set.

Like I said, your CYA is tolerable, unless you want to replace half the water ... figured you did not want to do that given you state's water issues.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

You are correct. I added the TA. Now it says 574 ounces. I would prefer not to change the water, as you are correct California is having a huge water problem right now.

I will go to the store today to purchase some muriatic acid. Other than that, am I ready to go? I've been using bleach. Is that the best solution? Or should I purchase some other type of chlorine?

PoolMath only does calculations. It does not tell you what to do. That is up to you to decide (with our help for now of course )

That result is not correct. Check the volume you have entered and make sure the TA is set.

Like I said, your CYA is tolerable, unless you want to replace half the water ... figured you did not want to do that given you state's water issues.
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Long term it again will be up to you how to chlorinate your pool. Many of us use bleach, butt in many areas higher % chlorinating liquid is available. I would say use bleach for right now and get a handle on how all of this works together.

Muratic acid comes in two strengths. I get mine at Lowes and use the higher strength. The bottle cost about the same but you use less of the higher. If you go to Lowes, it's in the paint section, blue label bottle.

To add acid I like to get in front of a return on my hands & knees and splash a little water on the pool deck. Then open the acid bottle and partially submerge it in the water. Tilt the bottle to pour the acid in at close to water level, but don't let the bottle get submerged. I don't measure because it's an additional step for me to spill the stuff. Remove the bottle from the water and set it down in the puddle on the pool deck while you replace the cap. Try not to breathe the fumes.. Guess a little low on amount you need, then test again after it circulates well. You can always add more.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Bleach is fine, just make sure it's regular 8.25% not scented. It has to say 8.25% on the bottle.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

It does say 8.25 and it is unscented. I will go to the store and get some muriatic acid. After that my pool should be ready to swim in? I'm very excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    Bleach is fine, just make sure it's regular 8.25% not scented. It has to say 8.25% on the bottle.
    TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

You should be good to go. Keep all your parameters in line using the ABCs of pool water chemistry and your TF100.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Hold on!!! That is still WAY WAY too much muriatic acid. Something is not right. I think you have the volume set to 215,000 gallons and not 21,500
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Hold on!!! That is still WAY WAY too much muriatic acid. Something is not right. I think you have the volume set to 215,000 gallons and not 21,500
    No doubt. That is a LOT of MA.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

16. Back To Top    #16

Good catch, that would only be 36 gallons of MA, give or take.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

17. Back To Top    #17

Is it because my borate is set at 0? Just checked ABC's and it says if I'm not intentionally adding borate, there is no reason to check for it.

The calculator says " Given TA of 150 and Borate of 0:
    Add by weight or by volume of washing soda or soda ash
    or add by weight or by volume of borax.
    Add 574 oz of 31.45 20 degree muriatic acid
    or add by weight or by volume of dry acid.
    Note: pH calculations depend on TA and Borate. Results are approximate and can be off significantly for large pH changes. Changing your pH will also change your TA.

I am sure it is set at 21,500. I put in the dimensions and that is what it gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Good catch, that would only be 36 gallons of MA, give or take.
    TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I just plugged your numbers in and it told me to add 92 oz MA to go from 8.2 pH to 7.2 pH.

Double check your numbers in the NOW & TARGET columns.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Did you set the volume at the top?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Shortpballer: thank jblizzle for catching you before you added all that MA!!! Even so, always go slowly with adjustments. Easier to add more later than overshoot now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast