Main Drain Cover- Brass Threaded Insert Failure

NOVApool

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 29, 2014
Northern Virginia
First off, I absolutely love this forum, you guys have taught me so much on pool and hot tub chemistry. Just put in my donation for lifetime member status.

Now for my most recent problem:

I noticed one of the screws was protruding from my main drain cover, so I tried to screw it down, with no luck. So I unscrewed the other end and pried it out, to find that the brass threaded insert had somehow fused and come completely out of the face ring. My cover is a Pentair starguard.

I think my system is shown in the following Pentair pdf, but I cannot tell exactly which.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/StarGuardMainDrainIG.pdf

P. 23 of the pdf shows the brass threaded insert, however, it looks like I have a face ring as per p. 20 or 17.

Anyway, I can think of two possible fixes that do not involve replacing the face ring:

1) Insert a new brass threaded insert into the face ring, however, a) I cannot find the specs of this threaded insert anywhere, and b) even if I did, I'm not sure it work.
2) Try the "thread forming screws" listed on p. 24 of the pdf. Not sure if this would work, but I can at least find and purchase those parts.

Do either of these make sense, or do I have to resort to more drastic measures?

Thank you!

Drain1.jpgDrain2.jpgDrain3.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.